Rat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  1. Porphyrin discharge around on eye. He has had this for some time.
  2. Loss of hair, and his coat seems very thin.
  3. When he breaths his whole body moves. Forward, back, forward, back. (Not major, but enough to worry)
  4. His tail is strangely dirtier then normal.
  5. And last, but not least. I don't believe he has been eating the past few nights, and he seems skinny.

I don't know whats going on. He seems slower then normal the past several months. Squirt is about 2 yo, and I figured that was just age.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
This sounds like a very serious respiratory infection potentially lower ri like pneumonia or congestive heart failure maybe.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And... There is no chance its nothing? I should go to the vet?

·
Registered
555 Posts
And... There is no chance its nothing? I should go to the vet?
I'd go to the vets just to be on the safe side. At least if you go and they say it's nothing then you know a professional told you so sort of thing. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some meds for your little one to help feel better :). Good luck!

·
Registered
601 Posts
I'd go to the vets just to be on the safe side. At least if you go and they say it's nothing then you know a professional told you so sort of thing. Hopefully they'll be able to give you some meds for your little one to help feel better :). Good luck!
Agreed! :)

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
No. Not eating, not grooming, and visible breathing are the worst symptoms. Whatever it is has progressed dangerously and he needs medicine soon and aggressively so.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is a 2+ year old rat. Does it seem seem like there is something treatable wrong?Is there really anything a vet can do?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
It would depend on the illness and progression. At the least a vet could pts before his quality of life declined more.

·
Registered
265 Posts
His breathing at the least seems like a serious symptom and something that I would surely think the vets can do something about. I'm guessing that when you describe his whole body shaking when he breathes he also sounds generally congested like a human would sound if his nose were stuffed and that he is having trouble breathing because of the congestion? If that is the case it is probably pneumonia (my baby girl currently has it and is being treated). Pneumonia is a very serious progression of the upper respiratory infection and, not to scare you, but if he were not treated for that very soon, he will definitely die. If you don't really hear any congestion though with that breathing symptom you described it may not even be that. I say that because the other symptoms you described do not sound very typical of a URI. I guess if it were dragged out over a long period of time maybe he would have some hair loss with it? And of course not eating is definitely common since if they don't feel good they don't want to eat so that's normal. He probably isn't grooming since you said his tail is very dirty. I would clean that up for him if you have to and bathe his body a little more often too if you need to. That one could be just something that comes with getting old, but I don't think that any of the other signs are normal with age, although i've never had an old rat since i'm on my first batch of rats and they are still under a year. It could be that he does have pneumonia, and those symptoms showed up in him easier since he is older vs. my rats not losing their hair and stuff since they are young and healthy yet. Or it worries me that it could be something else that could come with age like congestive heart failure or maybe not even something that bad. But you should really get him checked out asap because of the risk of pneumonia. They can die very quickly. The vet told me that if I would not have taken my girl in when I did she would have died and i took her in within 2 days of noticing symptoms.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just realized! Porphyrin and poor grooming habits are signs of stress! Which could be caused by pain!
Not eating, and weight loss could be caused by pain in his mouth!
Could his teeth be overgrown? I am going to go check them.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
His teeth are to long. I ground up lettuce and carrot. I added apple sauce for moisture, and olive oil for calories + fat. He is eating, but very slowly. I am going to call the vet on Monday, and get him in. Until then I am going to make sure he gets enough soft foods. I'll try to get him to gain some weight.

·
Registered
555 Posts
His teeth are to long. I ground up lettuce and carrot. I added apple sauce for moisture, and olive oil for calories + fat. He is eating, but very slowly. I am going to call the vet on Monday, and get him in. Until then I am going to make sure he gets enough soft foods. I'll try to get him to gain some weight.
I'm glad you're taking him in and have made a little concoction for him to eat easier :). Hope he feels better soon!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets just add seizures, bad balance, and 1 buldged eye to the list of symptoms :( I don't know what to do!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts