Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!I know about mycoplasma and that all rats have it but only some exhibit symptoms... We have adopted some rats from the RSPCA and they came back as having the mycoplasma but according to the vet it can be transferred to humans and other pets? However, everything I've read has been contrary to this? I'm just concerned as I have other pets and my partner has MS which compromises his immune system.Any further information greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
581 Posts
This is what I understand about it. Mycoplasma pulmonis (Myco) is a bacteria that resides in a rat's lungs. This bacteria is always being fought by the immune system, so the idea that "only some exhibit symptoms" is actually when the immune system is compromised, so the Myco springs up and causes a respiratory infection. Myco can be transferred to humans, but it actually has no effect on us. It is non-pathogenic to humans. As for other pets, I believe it's carried in many other rodents but it's not much of an issue with them. Mice are supposed to carry it as well, I believe?

This should be helpful as well:
http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

1 - 3 of 3 Posts