Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think the dreaded day has arrived - it's time to clip the nails on our three boys. They're 4 months old so they're all quite handfuls and super-super-hyper-active.

Any advice on how to go about the clipping/filing/what ever is best in the easiest, safest and least traumatic manner?

·
Registered
6 Posts
If there's room, you can put a brick/stone/something similar in their cage - somewhere that gets a lot of traffic - and it'll file down their nails without you having to go through the struggle of clipping them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I normally wait until my rat is climbing on the side of her cage and just chilling and I go with the clippers and carefully just cut the tips off. She barely notices and it's not traumatic for her because she's not being held tightly for a trim

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think the dreaded day has arrived - it's time to clip the nails on our three boys. They're 4 months old so they're all quite handfuls and super-super-hyper-active.

Any advice on how to go about the clipping/filing/what ever is best in the easiest, safest and least traumatic manner?
I've been wondering the same thing. My boys are 4 months old now and their nails are super sharp. I'm full of scratches and it's quite sore at times. Their cage is full of ropes to climb so I don't really want to trim their nails as I figure that they need them for climbing. I wouldn't even know how to trim them either (getting them to hold still without stressing them out). I'll have to deal with the scratches on my neck and arms...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.