Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your best way to go about cutting nails? Petunia can't seem to stay still long enough for me to cut her nails and she's scratching herself up! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Have you tryed putting a small rock in her cage. Every time she runs over it or jumps onto it it will file her nails down. I do it with all 6 of my rats and none of their claws have over grown. Just put it in a place they will use a lot.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I have one of those pedicure bird perches in my girls' cage. I put their water bottle up high enough so they can't reach without using the perch, and it's keeping their nails down really well :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I always make rat nail trimming a two person job. My husband holds a ratty and I carefully trim their little nails with some really sharp cat claw trimmers. It only takes a minute and the ratties love being held so they dont' fuss much.

·
Registered
21 Posts
lina said:
Have you tryed putting a small rock in her cage. Every time she runs over it or jumps onto it it will file her nails down. I do it with all 6 of my rats and none of their claws have over grown. Just put it in a place they will use a lot.
Lina - what kind of rock? what I mean is, did you just pick a rock from somewhere outside? or did you buy a special one from a pet store? and if you just picked a rock from outside, what did you wash it with? just soap and water??

I just came back from the vet from having my boys nails clipped and the process was just hideous! Something much more passive (and inexpensive) would make us ALL much happier. 8O

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got the rock from outside. We went offroad in my landrover and picked up to rocks and some branches and best of all it's free. :)
I know it sounds silly but I put the rocks in my dishwasher because it boils the water to kill germs. Just did it when my boyfriend was out so he could not blame me if the dishwasher broke lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's too funny!!!! I don't have a dishwasher, but I can certainly boil up some water and use other biodegradable and animal safe products from my local health food store... Great idea Lina!!!! Today I spent $27 on my three boys, just for nails being clipped... that's crazy! Free rocks and branches, here we go!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Ye my boyfriend has a go a me coz he spent loads of money on the dishwasher that he thinks I dont use. I'd never tell him all the rat toys and igloo's are washed in it.

Plus the rock stays cool in summer. My girls lie on it to keep cool.

·
Registered
293 Posts
seems like my vet is quite expensive.... 45$ a vet visit, 15$ for a nail clipping. no deals if i bring in multiple rats, still 45/15 ;[

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I clip there nails XD It's free that way, just takes some time lol.

Except I have just dealt with the scratches now. It seems the grow right back in after a week or two. But they have been pretty good about not scratching me too much lately.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I can't hold my rat in one place long enough to get them trimmed. But I have perches, and eventually, a rock. They don't seem over grown anyways. Plus I've never seem them curl like a dogs so I don't know if that's even possible.

·
Registered
293 Posts
its possible for em to curl like a dogs. my hairless had one like that(the rest were pretty good) so i had to take her to the vets and get em clipped.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts