Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Can everyone give me any good tips on clipping nails? I called a vet to do it but it was $20 each!!!!! So I'm going to do it myself. They squirm too much when I do it, and they try to run away, and I'm scared I'll hurt them. Does anyone know of a helpful video? My arms and hands are covered in scratches. Please help me.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I pin them standing up to my chest with my left hand and put my pointer finger in between their head and their front legs so that they can't squirm away. Then I clip away. That seems to work well for my 6 for the front legs. For the back, I lay them so they're on all fours. Then I pull one back leg back and clip. Repeat. Restraining is kind of just what works for you in this case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you so much! I'm going to try using the nail file.

·
Registered
672 Posts
My daughter clips her three rats nails all the time without any difficulty ever, she's never clipped too far or had any bleeding. I, on the other hand, am too big of a chicken and just put up with their ouchy sharp nails. I their little nails are SO small and it just makes me way too nervous. If I could get my husband to help, I might try a file too. Does it have yo be a metal one or would an emery board work?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I "experiment" with nail methods on my oldest or calmest rats, it's easier for them to sit still and they don't freak out.

If you're going to file them, I'd suggest an emery board. Never had luck with metal files to be honest.

Also, you'll need to hold their toes still, if you just hold their feet, their toes will wiggle about and you can't file them properly.

Filing is my favourite method. No risk of cutting them, and it leaves a nice finish so they don't catch their tails on the fleece. I also keep a brick and a tile in their cage, which means I don't file their nails as often.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thank you for your thoughts. I will try that soon. My rats have lava bird ledges in their cage which helps some, but those little nails are still sharp.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My vet recommended using a file since mine are younger but I found that to be an even larger frustration. I bought a pair of baby nail clippers and did as someone above said, pinned Shinji and then trimmed one of his hands. The big turning point was when I quit making it into such a huge issue. For me I worried about hurting them, them hurting me, squeezing too tightly, being bitten, them hating me forever, basically everything. I let it all go and approached it like I do with the cats: you don't like this and I'm sorry but it is happening. Surprisingly Shinji was much calmer. I plan to do his other foot tomorrow, going slow and not overwhelming him. I'm also hoping to let Sousuke, my timid gent, see it's all gravy before his turn. I know it's not a lot of help but it worked for us so maybe?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I revoke my statement. I've recently bought a new pair of nail clippers that are perfect for tiny nails, and prevent me from hurting their little paws by bending their toes when I file them.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Does anyone have an example of the clippers they use to clip nails? Neville's claws are so sharp! I'm going to have to tackle them pretty soon.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've always been way too anxious to even attempt clipping my girls' nails, their little toes are just so tiny! I filed them with a normal file for awhile, but that still made me nervous. I've had a lot of success with just using lava ledges in the cage for them to climb and run across and file their own nails!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm now using clippers. Once you do it once, it gets easier and easier. I can now do it without any issues!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts