Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To some degree all six of my boys, despite regular handling, are real fidgeters, with four of them disliking being handled for more than 10 seconds. This normally wouldn't be too much of a problem but I've noticed that the nails on two of them are start to get super long - my family are also beginning to question why my arms and hands are always scratched to ribbons lol

I've tried placing coarse/rough things in the cage for them to climb on but they don't use them enough to effectively wear the sharp ends down. Can anyone offer any good advice on how I can go about cutting the nails myself?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Generally I find that a soft yummy treat on a spoon works well to distract fidgety rats during nail trimming (It leaves their paws free for clipping). Also only try to do one nail then release and give them a break. Then after a bit get them back and do another.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Take it slowly, do one nail at a session if you have too. I do mine every month or 2 as I show them (and judges get torn to bits if you don't) and a lot is about confidence, staying calm and being able to judge where the quick is (the pink bit of the nail).

It is a lot easier if you've watched someone do it. If oyu can make a show ask someone to demonstrate (once the madness at the start has died down) as most people are happy to help. I tend to have a queue of people waiting for nail trimming services at my local shows.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts