Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so Lilly seems to be able to keep her nail size down. But Luna sheesh. I dunno how her last owner treated her. The girl at petco said the person was really attached to her pets. But there has to be a reason why Luna went for adoption. They obviously didnt take care of her as well as she could have. Upon close inspection I found Luna had more bite marks on her than just the one on her snout. She also has two sores that are healing on her two back feat. She may not have had a solid bottom cage. The nails on her back feat are incredible! some are regular length some are pretty big and some are actually spiraling. I feel so bad. It doesn't seem like she is in pain. But for her safety I want to clip them. I don't want them to get caught on things and accidentally rip out. But I am terrified to do it myself. I hated clipping dogs nails when I used to work at Petco. Thats nerve wrecking enough. And then I used to clip my Iguanas nails. OMG that was always scary lol But she is so much smaller. And I am still letting her learn to trust me. I mean she's sweet as can be. But I wouldn't want to experience a certain type of rat bite if she gets scared or mad. I also don't want to injure her. She is constantly moving and I don't want her to jerk suddenly and I end up clipping more than nail. So after all this being said. My question is. Do vets clip nails? I know they can trim teeth or at least some do? Or are there any other places that can do it? And how much do you think it would cost?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
im not sure about cost but im pretty sure a vet would do - its animal welfare lol , your little rattie cant risk bad injury because her nails are to long so they should cut them ..

then again i havnt had to have my ratties at the vet ....yet
Jess x

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't taken her either because supposedly Luna saw a vet before I adopted her. I even have the number to her vet. But I dunno I still have some concerns about her.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts