Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Most people will put stuff in their rats' cage to help keep their nails down, usually bricks. I have a brick and a pedicure bird perch in their cage. I put the water bottle up high and the perch under it, so they have to use the perch to reach the water, and the brick next to their litter box, which they use as a step to get in there. They both work really well, and I haven't had to cut their nails myself.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I trim my girls...i dont need too but i prefer too. If you do, i suggest gettin the tiny sciscor style nail clippers. dont use regular sciscors.

My girls are pretty good, but like i said, they dont need it. i trim the tips every so often.

·
Registered
798 Posts
you can also use a nail file, but let me tell you, its rather difficult, my O.P. had nails so severely over grown when I got them that they were curling under and poking into the pads on his feet/toes. To tell you the honest truth they're still not trimmed down 100% but they're much MUCH better, hes not too keen on me playing with his feet because he doesn't understand, but hes getting used to it, everytime i take him out i play with his toes now, the more i do so, the more willing he is to let me do it. That way next time i get out the scissors/nail file, he wont mind as much.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I generally stick with the brick and bird perch thing and use a nail file if I have to ...

·
Registered
520 Posts
My dog does that... weird.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Funny...my cat does that. I always thought she was a bit of a freak. But she literally bites her own nails, and ruins them. Luckily she allows me to cut them for her.
I'll try the brick thing with my rats. Their nails aren't bad right now but they will be soon.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Its just they have little feeties and smaller nails, I'm sure it would be nice once in a while to have a shoulder ride where your neck isn't scratched up and red, or you have to change into a thicker shirt.

I actually a hard enough time doing my dogs nails and watching a vet do it, just makes me want to grab my dog and say, NO TOUCHIE!

Cheers to the people here who can trim their ratties feeties!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Were getting ours done tomorrow for my moms oldest dog, because she knows I'm taking my Maggie [rat] to the vet and she wants me to sneak her in for some trimming.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do either of you guys dogs have a problem with you cutting their nails? My dog is fine with it. I only cut off the tips anyway because I'm too afraid of cutting the quicks, but my sister's dog flips if you try to cut his nails. It's not even that we're being too rough or anything. He had been abused before we adopted him so he just has his issues. The only way we can cut his nails is if he's muzzled and we really just don't like doing this. Is there a better way?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts