Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked my baby Annabel out if her cage. Usually they fling their legs and tail out when I do that (for balance?) But Annabel accidentally clawed my hand... and her toe got stuck in my skin!! What (if anything) can I do to prevent that? They also claw my skin and, as a recovering cutter, the scratches can be triggering...

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Get some lava ledges or rough stones/bricks that they can perch on; that'll wear down their nails naturally. Unfortunately, some rats don't use them and you may have to look into clipping their nails. I'd try the natural way first though. Avoiding scratches altogether is going to be difficult especially if they like to climb on you. To avoid that, wear a long sleeve shirt and pants while playing with them. If them scratching your hands becomes a problem, try wrapping them in a piece of cloth before picking them up that way there are no loose, flailing limbs. I have fairly sensitive skin, so I try to avoid scratches as much as possible. Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I second lava ledges. Kaytee sells them and I think you find them with the small animal stuff. The ones for birds are perches, not ledges.

I have three that make steps to the top shelf of my cage. I removed the ramp to encourage their use. The nails are much less painful! Not perfect, but sooo much better!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
That's a great idea FiMarie! Mine don't have ramps at the moment either, but I'm sure they'd love lava ledge steps. Do your rats chew on the ledges as well? My girls have just about destroyed the one I put in for them just a week ago

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Lava ledges! What a fantastic idea! My Wafer's nails are ridiculous and I am so sick of my chest being covered with scratches!

·
Registered
153 Posts
You can buy the lava ledges for fairly cheap on Amazon. So i'd definitely go take a look there

1 - 9 of 9 Posts