Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got my first nakie( double rex actually) and was wondering if there is any special care I should be aware of. I know she will have a tendency to get cold but I have lots of hammocks,2 critter pods and she has 3 fuzzy buddies.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I had a wonderful Double Rex named Dean. I didn't find anything needed to be done differently while taking care of him. Others may have different thoughts on this. I know that completely hairless rats are prone to getting things in their eyes if they don't have eyelashes to protect them. I actually think nakies are almost easier to care for since they don't hide any lumps or bumps with fur so you can find them sooner. :) Of course, they are much more vulnerable if they get into fights with other rats. (Hopefully you won't have that problem, though.)

Congratulations on your new rattie!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just remember something about dry skin.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You can rub olive oil on her skin if you find that she's dry. I typically don't do that with my hairless unless it's winter and the humidity drops really low, but he tends to be rather oily himself so his skin stays fairly soft without my help.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hairless rats aren't much more difficult. they are a bit more prone to abscesses. my girls had a few but they're not too hard to treat.
as for dry skin, a tiny dab of olive oil will help but I usually put a small amount on a piece of bread and fed it to them because actually rubbing it into them caused everyone to go crazy licking each other and it also grabbed on to any and all dust and dirt.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hairless rats aren't much more difficult. they are a bit more prone to abscesses. my girls had a few but they're not too hard to treat.
as for dry skin, a tiny dab of olive oil will help but I usually put a small amount on a piece of bread and fed it to them because actually rubbing it into them caused everyone to go crazy licking each other and it also grabbed on to any and all dust and dirt.
see I had also worried about olive oil clogging pores and such, I will start feeding her a little if she gets dry.

I have been lucky, In 4 years i have not had a single abscess. Of course thats pure luck and I do know of rats who have had them. I havent been so lucky with tumors though :(

·
Registered
74 Posts
ugh, my one nakie girl always got abcesses. well not always but she had about 3 or 4. but they were very hyper and always playing and causing trouble :p

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well this is my first nakie so I am hoping for the best.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Have you tried spaying to help prevent tumors? I recently for the first time had one of my girl rats spayed. It took me quite a bit of research to find a vet whom I trusted to do the spay surgery----not all exotics vets have much experience with spaying rats. I found a veterinarian who's spayed almost 1,000 rats and she was recommended by at least two other rat owners who had had amazing success with their rats being spayed. Just thought I'd mention this in case it's something you might be considering.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent spayed but I do have a vet who can. I dont drive though so getting there would be hard.

One tumor was on a 2 year old male, I got it removed then he ended up with a seroma ...

The other was on a 2 1/2 year old female, the vets and I agreed ( especially with her last surgery not going well) that we would not have it removed and would have her PTS when it got big enough to be a discomfort for her.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Not sure if you're interested in discussing the tumor removal experiences you wrote about...If you are, did the seroma on your male eventually dissipate? On your 2 1/2 year old female, what type of surgery did she have (prior to developing the tumor) that didn't go well?

That must be difficult not being able to drive to the vet. I hope you have someone who can drive you if needed.

Hope you're enjoying your Double Rex girl! Would love to see photos! :)

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have photo's in the meet my rat section.

As for the seroma, We went back to the vet to have it drained. He got the seroma after having a 60 gram tumor removed.

The female, We had a freak accident, she escaped and as i grabbed her she freaked and twisted through my hand, breaking her tail and degloving it. We took her in to have the rest of the tail removed, that night though she chewed out 2-3 stitches and lost so much blood her membranes were grey and she was cold. It took a lot just to get her through the night.

The surgeries were done by 2 different vets, not that that really matters, I have 2 vets for the rats, one for the cat and dog, and one that I see for little things like nail clippings and anal gland expressing ( my dog has some issues)

·
Registered
244 Posts
That sounds like it was a scary time post surgery with your female who had her tail degloved. Did you (or your vet) decide an e-collar wasn't necessary? It's so difficult to decide when to use one since our rats dislike them so intensely. It's definitely a matter of weighing the lesser of two evils.

I think it's great to have more than one vet----really comes in handy if one has a day off or is on vacation and your rat needs to be seen.

I looked at your rat photos in the "Meet My Rats" section---They're gorgeous! Your hairless rat doesn't look like a Double Rex to me---I don't see much fur in the photographs. Maybe your photos just didn't capture the areas with fur? Here's a photo of the Double Rex I had:

Mammal Rat Muridae Gerbil Mouse Cat Felidae Small to medium-sized cats Sphynx Fawn Vertebrate Mammal Rat Muridae Rodent

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My vet said they did not have anything for her e-collar wise, we did try to make one at home but she wiggled right out.

She is a double rex lineage :) She has the curly whiskers that come from being rex.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That sounds so difficult what you and your rat with the degloved tail went through. That's too bad you couldn't make an e-collar that would work.

I recently had two females spayed and was so worried about them biting out their sutures. The first girl I had spayed, I actually slept on my back on a loveseat with her inside my shirt on my chest so I could monitor her throughout the night. (Any movement and I'd awaken immediately.) My second girl who was spayed a couple of weeks ago needed to have an e-collar. She sure didn't like it but it was so helpful to have---especially during the first 24 hours.

Hope your rats are all doing well and that you're enjoying your Double Rex!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I ended up fixing a popsicle stick to her tail with lots of medical tape and a bandage over the end. That way she nor her tail were flexible enough that she could chew it.

Btw her name was Ember and she was an amazing rat. we had a long hard story, from her rescue , her bonding ( took 4 months) , to her degloving and the tumor that ended up taking her from me.

And I am very much enjoying my Nakie, she is such a sweety, even with her eye issues and dry skin. She lets me wipe her eyes down with saline and a cotton ball when needed.

·
Registered
244 Posts
elliriyanna, How ingenious to use the popsicle stick, medical tape and bandaging material! Ember does sound like she was very special. It sounds like you shared some memorable and much treasured experiences together.

Glad you're enjoying your nakie! I don't think anyone can really understand how much fun hairless or double rex rats are until they've had one. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts