Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kinda excited because I am doing awesome so far on my novel, was behind on my word count and now I'm almost at goal for day 3! So that's awesome. But anyone around here participating in NaNo? Or done so in the past? This is my fourth attempt and I am hoping my third win. My first win I have saved to edit one day, the second I deleted as soon as I submitted my official word count. XD But this one I've been tossing around in my head for close to 5 years so I'm determined. And I think I have a good start.

And to answer the "What in the seven seas are you talking about?"

NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month. The goal, write a 50,000 word novel between Nov 1st and Nov 30th. More is always better, but 50k is a lot as is, so that's the goal! There are "rules" on their website, like you have to start after 12am Nov 1st, but mostly its just write and write and hope you survive with most of your sanity intact. I call it the Month of Tears and Pain, cause about halfway through it gets frustrating and it can be hard to remember why your doing it! And its easy to get distracted.... like now.... But its amazing. And no you don't really get anything for "winning".... aside from needing a month vacation for your poor hands and the slightly insane feeling that comes from writing a novel...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
That sounds awesome! What is your word count so far? Does the novel have to fit a particular theme or is it just one massive free for all? Anyway, it sounds like a lot of fun but after writing out my dissertation and with all my other projects, I do not think I will be attempting a major writing task like this anytime soon. I hope you make it though!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just over 5,000 now, might do a bit more tonight! And nope its pretty much what you like. There are even NaNo Rebels who do screen plays or poems or the like, which technically is against the rules, hence the rebel bit. They also have other months, I think april is for screenplays... They also do things for kids, workshops and the like. Its not just a crazy event, it's a non profit orginization as well!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck to anyone making the attempt at this.
I'll probably just write up a collection of made up fairy tales, or do illustrations for folks NaNoWriMo novels. I'm not a long haul kind of writer, so I have a lot of respect and admiration for everyone that does this (or writes in general).

·
Registered
228 Posts
My partner in crime is doing this. He's doing really well so far. He's done it several years in a row now and it's very exciting to see him hitting his goals. He's using it to write the first book in a trilogy he's planned.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm behind again... XP will probably keep doing this back and forth to the end.

I wish I could do a cover for mine. I tried the other day and sorta just stared at the paper. Granted my title isn't even that great so I doubt I could come up with a good cover. XD

And good luck to your husband! My first year was a novel that would be part of a series if I can ever get around to looking at the first one again.... XP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts