Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scout and Panda's buddy is still in quarantine, and I think it's been just over a week since I got him...problem is, he's still sneezing like crazy. His nose is dry, his chest sounds clear when I do the "rattie telephone," and there is no porphyrin around his nose or eyes. I put some un-scented toilet paper in his nest box, and there was no porphyrin residue after a full 24 hours. Panda and Scout have more porphyrin than he does, and they're perfectly healthy!

Do you think he has allergies to something? Is there anything to do to help him with the sneezing? If he had any prophyrin or a wet nose or any other symptoms I would take him to the vet, but right now all I have is "he acts and looks healthy but he won't stop sneezing."

ugh...

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
well ive heard chocolate chips help, and maybe he has the new home sneezies? i dont htink they last for a week though, maybe call the vet and see their opinion

sorry i wasnt much help

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess i can try the chocolate, if i can find some baby allergy medicine i might use that to see if it is allergies...

poor baby. i should change his name to "sniffles" ;)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Sounds like my Mr. Sniffles LoL. A couple of questions to ask yourself with all of it are:

Am I wearing a strong perfume?

Is there any candles, fabric refreshers, air freshners, etc. around his cage that could be causing the sneezes.

Could it be the bedding that is causing the sneezing?

Since there is no prophyrin I would hold off on the chocolate. Dark chocolate is really only good when rats are in respitory distress meaning they are gasping for air or having labored breathing.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
none of the above. i use towels for bedding, which i wash and dry without fabric softner or other perfumed things. i personally hate strong smells myself, so i don't wear perfumes or use candles, etc.

those would be easy things to fix ;)

i dunno what to do about this sneezing...i think i will try child's benadryl or something similar to see if it is allergies.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My personal motto is better safe than sorry. I don't generally advise dosing with OTC meds before seeing a vet... If there's concern that meds are needed, it's best to let a vet decide which and how much. Dosing depends on factors that vets are trained for... Weight, degree of illness, etc. If it is something like allergies (and it could be), it's still best for a vet to figure out the dosage.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, there is no known safe dosage of Bendryl for rats. I would only give it with the advice of a knowledgeable vet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts