Rat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Once again Im almost out of dog food... I went to the store and made the manager (my friend Jay) go through the 'holistic' section with me to find the lowest protein and fat. The best we found was Natural Balance® Reduced Calorie Formula. With all info available here It was about $9 for the 5lb bag. Has any one used this food? I also bought some of the Bison, Pearled Barley & Blueberry treats.

**Bonus points for Natural Balance: They make reptile 'sausages' to feed instead of mice and rats as well as diets for large carnivores in zoos and sanctuaries

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Darksong:

It is for Suebee's mix, I actually found your write up just after I posted that :) I was really wondering if rats actually liked the food?

I don't want to get HT because I question their ingredients, and I wanted a cheaper alternative to Regal Rat, I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to spend a lot on good food they won't eat. It could be dietary gold, but it won't do any good sitting untouched in their food dish. (I know , I know preaching to the choir)

·
Registered
393 Posts
glindella said:
Darksong:

It is for Suebee's mix, I actually found your write up just after I posted that :) I was really wondering if rats actually liked the food?

I don't want to get HT because I question their ingredients, and I wanted a cheaper alternative to Regal Rat, I don't mind spending the money, but I don't want to spend a lot on good food they won't eat. It could be dietary gold, but it won't do any good sitting untouched in their food dish. (I know , I know preaching to the choir)

The food as in Suebee's mix or the food as in Natural Balance? I have not tried Natural Balance myself so I cannot say but I have used Suebee's mix with success when I didn't have Harlan Teklad lab blocks available. Even when I had them available I'd occasionally supplement them with a little of the mix for variety. Mind you this was a while ago and I haven't had rats for a while now (eventually I'll have fuzzies again!).

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been feeding Suebees and Nutro Ultra Weight management, good food and they like it but the protein is higher (~18% I believe). I'm just looking to switch the dog food, thank you for all your help :)

·
Registered
393 Posts
glindella said:
Ive been feeding Suebees and Nutro Ultra Weight management, good food and they like it but the protein is higher (~18% I believe). I'm just looking to switch the dog food, thank you for all your help :)
Natural Balance is a higher quality, better dog food than Nutro anyway so it sounds like the way to go. You're very welcome :3

·
Registered
520 Posts
What is the protein level in your new food? I have been meaning to switch to something a little lower - I use Nutro as well.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The protein is 16.5% min, fat is 6% min. Ill mix it with the Nutro tonight and see how much they like it and let you all know :)

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
i use nutro lite for senior dogs in suebee's mix, which is 14% protein.
my girls are pretty happy with it, but let me know how the new food goes with your ratties! =)

·
Registered
208 Posts
I feed Natural Balance to my dog, cat and rats. The dog gets the duck and potato, and the rats get the veggie formula. Every once in a while I give the ratties some of the dogs potato and duck formula and they love it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I've been using Nutro Natural Choice Lite (14% protein, I think 6% fat), but the ingredients in Natural Balance are much better! I think the ingredients outweigh the protein, imo, especially since all of my rats are still under a year old. Since I need to pick up more dog food soon anyway, I think I'll try to find some Natural Balance. Do they sell it at Petco/Petsmart?

·
Registered
489 Posts
I like to think of myself as a dogfood soon to be expert, as i plan to be a vet and have seminars about dog food. I Also research Just about every ingredient and just about any food.

After lookin at the ingredients, none of them scream jun to me. So i'd say it seems like a good foood to me.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Here is the product information:

Natural Balance Reduced Calorie Formula for Dogs
First Ten Ingredients

Brown Rice
Whole Chicken
Pearled Barley
Oatmeal
Chicken Meal
Potatoes
Oat Fiber
Duck
Lamb Meal
Carrots

Remaining Ingredients

Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Canola Oil, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols-a source of vitamin E, Citric Acid), Brewers Yeast, Whole Ground Flaxseed, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract, Choline Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Dried Kelp, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Sodium Chloride, Parsley Flakes, Calcium Carbonate, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplements, Ascorbic Acid (vitamin C), Taurine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, L-Lysine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Grape Seed Oil, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid (Vitamin B, Pyridoxine, Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), D-Activated Animal Sterol (source of Vitamin D-3), Biotin, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide (source of Iodine), Cobalt Sulfate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate

Guaranteed Analysis

Crude Protein (minimum) 16.5 %
Moisture (maximum) 10 %
Crude Fat (minimum) 6%
Crude Fiber (maximum) 5 %

·
Registered
208 Posts
I like the veggie because it adds omega, though it does have more protein and fat. Hmm.. maybe I'll do a mix of both types next time.

This is for the veggie formula.

Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Cracked Pearled Barley, Peas, Potato Protein, Canola Oil, Potatoes, Tomato Pomace, Vegetable Flavoring, Lecithin, Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Inulin, Taurine, Natural Tocopherols, Spinach, Parsley Flakes, Cranberry, Lysine, L-Carnitine, Yucca, Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).

GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
Crude Protein 18.0% minimum
Crude Fat 8.0% minimum
Crude Fiber 4.0% maximum
Moisture 10.0% maximum
Omega 3 Fatty Acids 0.3% minimum
Omega 6 Fatty Acids 2.0% minimum

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, they ate it :) I mixed it with the nutro and they ate both with out seeming to have much of a preference. They were also big fans of the NB Bison, Barley and Blueberry biscuits (each got 1/2)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts