Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have lots of pets in my home, and I am kind of a hippie and really into holistic/alternative healing methods for my animals. Obviously there is a line, if a vet and modern medicine is needed then I take my animals to the vet, but I always try to see if there is something in my first aid cupboard that can help. I was wondering if maybe we could have a thread with natural remedies that have been tried and tested? What works and doesn't work? I have more experience trying things out (carefully and after a lot of research!) with my larger animals, and not so much my rats. I just thought it would be a cool thread to start!

Here are some things I've done and that have worked:

~Tea bag on the eye for eye infections.... SOUNDS like it would be a battle but it isn't so bad! I have done this for each of my animals... my horse, both cats, my dogs, and one of my rats. It draws out infection and really works.
~White Willow Bark... anti-inflammatory. I use this regularly in my older horse and my older dog that have minor discomforts due to age during the damp months. This is literally where Tylenol started, but there are no long-term affects (like liver damage) or fillers so it's pretty safe to offer to pets.
~Spirulina... this is a super powerful superfood that offers huge immune boosting qualities and increases blood flow. It is gross, and I've only offered it to my horse (who eats everything), but I'm sure if it was disguised in something yummy for other animals it would be gobbled up.
~Probiotics.... to my older dog, who has some digestive issues.
~Slippery Elm... really good for digestive issues, coats the digestive tract in a gel-like substance and helps ease diarreha and runny stool.
~Chaga Mushrooms.... this mushroom is really really powerful and super healing. I haven't used it on any of my animals yet, but I give it to my kids during cold/flu season to boost immunity. It also has some really powerful tumor healing qualities, so I thought something like this would be useful for those with rats that have tumors.

I'm sure there are more, I'll add them as I think of them. Anyone want to share?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I know the tea bag; it's got to be black tea I believe. Rat care has a lot of natural remedies in it usually; my vet has a giant book on homeopathic medicines and usually will treat with that if it is safe. For example, if you have female rats wheatgrass powder and turkey tail mushroom are really goot to prevent tumor growth and to slow any growths down. Raw honey is another one that can be used on abscesses and wounds, and can be ingested as an antimicrobial -- manuka honey being the best. Echinacea is an immune booster to be given to sick rats; oil of oregano can be useful with URIs. There's also less herbal but important to know factors with normal food - dark chocolate is a great bronchial in emergencies; and cornstarch can stop bleeding. I've been advised white willow bark for arthritis -- vitamin C additions in the diet also help for that.

I know I'm missing a few things, like flaxseed oil is used for health and some other oils. I can't comment on any of your suggestions as I have no experience with them.
There are things to note with homeopathic care -- don't overuse them, don't rely on them over vet care, and don't continue what isn't working.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Sniffles
  • Grapefruit Seed Extract
  • Oil of Oregano
Both disguised with babyfood

General Immunity
  • Liquid herbal supplement
1 week/month in water
  • Apple Cider Vinegar
In water at all times in secondary waterbottle

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I use a few bits and bobs, though they've never replaced vetinary medicine as such, useually they are a bolt on to make me feel better, or when the rat isnt really ill as much as needs a bit of help

Garlic is v good as an immune system booster, feed raw or chop up and let rest for a minute or two then lightly microwave. Powdered garlic on the food is also a good antiparasitic

Echancia is a good immune system booster, 1 drop per rat per day either as a one off when there not great or preventatively with 3 weeks on 1 week off.

Natural yoghurt makes a great probiotic

Flax / linseed oil is good at reducing the effects of kidney degeneration

Omega oils are good for arthritis

A good diet is probably the biggest health boost though, espeically if its through life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts