Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so recently my nan told me she'll be taking me and my brothers on holiday!!!! (super excited, especially since it's been four years!!!)

Anyway, my mum and dad are staying behind so i have no worries about finding my rats a carer, the only problem is the rats are solely mine so even my dad who quite likes them, might not cope when he opens to cage door to feed them and they all flood out. As for me, i know who will jump onto me, who will make a dash to climb the cage and who will leap to the floor so if my room isn't rat-proof I can get them back quickly and safely. I'll only be gone four days but I think the longer they go without a free range (something i can't expect my parents to take on) the naughtier they'll be for them.

I'll buy and make them lots of new toys before i leave to keep them as happy as possible and i'll measure out separate servings for each meal so everything's as easy as possible for my mum and dad but other than them slipping food through the bars (which is horrible, like rattie prison!) i can't think of what to do to stop any runaways or accidental injuries. Does anyone have experience with rats like these?!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I left mine under the care of my mother-in-law for 5 days and they were not as eager to come out of the cage she said. She had never interacted with them though, so that is probably why. She did say that Freyja, my most lovable girl, ran up to her shoulder once after a few days. I pretty much just told her to not open the cage door all the way and be sure to close the office door just in case of escapees.

·
Registered
74 Posts
what if before you left, you and your mom/dad "practice" feeding them, that way you can watch her do it to see how they're gonna react towards her.

·
Registered
209 Posts
what if before you left, you and your mom/dad "practice" feeding them, that way you can watch her do it to see how they're gonna react towards her.
I second this!
When I had to go away for a month or so, I thoroughly trained my OH in rat care! We went through everything that goes into their daily care, cage changing, etc... I even printed him some guidelines on how to care for them, a list of unsafe foods and links to good rat information resources! haha :p

My boys aren't the easiest to deal with, but that way I felt very safe leaving them in his care. ^^

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All really good ideas, thanks guys. I didn't even think of having them practice or the fact that they might not be as eager to come out with my parents feeding them! I don't leave until May so i have plenty of time and i think i will write up some information for them too just so i can feel extra confident in leaving them behind. Thanks again! :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.