Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to rats and have three lovely ratties that but have a problem with one of them. They are rescue babies and arnt sure how old they are but one of them will run up to you bite and run off. Any ideas how i can get this baby to trust me.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Just go slow. Sit next to the cage and talk to them to get them used to the sound of your voice. Start outting little bits of yogurt or baby food on ure finger so it can sit and lick it off. Help hand train them. Start putting the food in the palm of ure hand to encourage him to climb on . This is what i did to "tame" my girls. But the basic idea is just slow and steady. Maybe pick it up and put it in your sweatshirt while you are at the computer to get her used to ure scent. Or have her sit on ure lap. If she bites too hard then give a little squeak but one of my rats nibbles me , trying to groom. The squeqing thing worked for me =D And now they are both gentle little girls.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They might have come from a rather neglectful family or may have not been socialized properly whilst babies. My Roxie was like that when I first got her but I trained her with Yogies. I would take the Yogies (her favorite) and every day put a line of the leading up to my shoulder, going a little higher each day with less Yogies. Like, the first day, I put 5 Yogies in just my palm and she would climb on and nibble away. Then the next day I would line up the 5 Yogies so they led to my forearm. Then the next day I would use 4 Yogies and lead them up to my elbow; and so on and so forth until it took 1 Yogie on my shoulder to get her to climb up. These days she's completely comfortable and just climbs on if I stick my hand in the cage. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts