Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Gustav has a chronic lung problem, my vet prescribed a nebulizer and building a nebulizer box for him.
I'm working on getting him to associate the box with positive things, setting him in there and holding a treat near the nebulizer tip. He's pretty much fine until I turn the nebulizer on. I have the actual machine on the other side of the door to keep the noise level down, but he still gets upset. I tried holding him and putting the nebulizer near his face, but he fights me hard on that, he just seems to hate the sound.

Does anyone have any experience with nebulizing a rat? Would a larger nebu-box help (he has room to sit up in his current one)?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've nebulized Neera before. Just so you know, she's extremely handshy, so holding her in place or making it so she can't move bothers her a lot. I didn't bother at all with trying to hold her. I made a nebulizing box (I can show you a picture and tell you how I made it if you want) and attached the nozzle to it instead. I used a fairly small one, that she could turn and move and stand up in, but it wasn't big enough for her to stand all the way up in and the tip of her tail touched the end of it.

She hated it. For a while she was afraid of the sound, but she got used to it. Then, it turned into her hating being cramped into that box. She was calm about it, but when you opened it, she made a break for it. A way that I used to make the nebulizer make less sound was putting it on a pillow. A nice, fluffy, thick one. It made the vibrations through the floor quieter and helped to sort of absorb some of the sound. It definitely seemed to help Neera.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Would using a warm mist humidifier be much different? I'm not too familiar with nebulizers and their function. But I use a humidifier for my girl who has had lifelong URI and LRI infections. I just use their travel cage which is small, and drape a fleece blanket or large towel over the humidifier and cage so it creates like a steamroom for her to breathe in. None of the rats who have been in this little steamroom have ever acted fearful or upset about being in there, and the dark familiar cage I think is much more comfortable for them to stay in while steaming.

If a humidifier has a similar function to a nebulizer, you can try that if the nebulizer is too stressful?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I might try that, he may like the travel cage more than the nebubox.
Basically, as I call it, a nebulizer is like a medical grade veggie steamer. He basically has the same issue of constant respiratory infections, so he gets a saline steam once a day to help keep the gunk from building up in his lungs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts