Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching the forum but had no luck! So if anyone could help, I'd appreciate it.

Both males, Rat A is about a year old; Rat B is roughly 3 months old.
Rat B tries to crawl under Rat A.
Rat A then pushes Rat B away, shoving hard with front paws and holding for a second before moving away.

During another interaction, Rat A lunges at Rat B, and shoves, but does not bite.

There were no other signs of aggression - no sidling, puffing, hissing, or biting. Would this interaction on its own be considered aggression? Or just establishing dominance? Neither? I've never, ever seen a rat just walk up to another rat and try to squish underneath him like this. I've never seen lunging in absence of biting either. I am a little confused, lol.

·
Registered
955 Posts
My boys squish underneath each other all the time. It can usually means one of two things in my experience. Either a request to be groomed or a display of submission. Not sure about the lunging, I'd have to see to know exactly what you mean. My boys lunge and jump on each other quite a bit, usually it's dominance/hierarchy related, and sometimes just play.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Rat B is trying to take Rat As dominant status and Rat A is declining politely.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My boys squish underneath each other all the time. It can usually means one of two things in my experience. Either a request to be groomed or a display of submission. Not sure about the lunging, I'd have to see to know exactly what you mean. My boys lunge and jump on each other quite a bit, usually it's dominance/hierarchy related, and sometimes just play.
I mean Rat A literally lunges forward at Rat B, and shoves him or presses him down and then moves on. Sorry I wasn't clear, it's hard to explain. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I laughed out loud at "politely"! Thank you for this explanation. Any idea what happens next? Rat B is very interested in Rat A, but other than the shoving and pushing Rat A doesn't seem interested at all.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Well, the younger rat has all his hormones telling him he's big and bad and needs to be in charge. Either he will get his wish or Rat A will need to explain that it's not happening a little more roughly. That or he will keep trying and these next six months will suck.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Interesting--this is exactly what it would mean in Lagomorph language (bunny behavior).

Maybe all my bunny experience will serve me a tad better than I anticipated, after all.

For those who aren't familiar, rabbit intros can be quite tricky (including fatal violence at worst), and success is highly dependent on individual personalities involved.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the younger rat has all his hormones telling him he's big and bad and needs to be in charge. Either he will get his wish or Rat A will need to explain that it's not happening a little more roughly. That or he will keep trying and these next six months will suck.
Thanks very much for answering my questions. :)

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting--this is exactly what it would mean in Lagomorph language (bunny behavior).

Maybe all my bunny experience will serve me a tad better than I anticipated, after all.

For those who aren't familiar, rabbit intros can be quite tricky (including fatal violence at worst), and success is highly dependent on individual personalities involved.
I did not know that, very interesting!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts