Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So summer is upon me, and the class pets, all four neutered rat boys, are going to live with me for the summer. I have two spayed girls who have been together since birth. All four are lovely cuddly kissy wigglebutts.

I just got a critter nation, and am going to set it up with the goal that all six of them live together. Any suggestions on how to integrate four male cagemates with two female cagemates? Should I put the alphas of each group in together and let them get acquainted first?

At the moment, I've introduced the girls to the beta males in playtime. They did a little pinning and grooming and have spent the past few days merrily getting along on the couch. These two boys were also the two that integrated seamlessly into the mischief of my first two boys, so I wasn't totally surprised that they got along quickly.

However, Moose, my lil alpha of the boys group, may be a problem. He definitely likes to show the others who is boss. (No blood, just lots of whining and meeping from the other boys.) My girls, upon meeting him previously, were terrified of him. Same for Jack, a beta who used to be alpha, as he sees them as a way to elevate his status, I think. The girls tend to be much more skittish around them.

I was thinking of doing the carrier method, letting one to two in the little cage at a time, observing, and intervening if necessary.

What would you do/have you done in the past?

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fuggitaboutit. I can't get the DCN built anyhow. *grumpyface*

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, after SEVEN HOURS and two trips to Home Depot, the DCN is built. And the babies, smooshed together in one cage while I clanged, and banged and swore--did just fine. No fights, no nips, not even any crying. There was even some sleeping in groups of new friends.

Hopefully all will go as smoothly in the new territory.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts