Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made a mistake and bought a baby rat from this place called pet world(VERY SHITTY PET STORE CRUEL TO THE RODENTS I FOUND OUT TODAY) to be a brother to our current rat,The one I got was small and they told me he was weaned and everything but he looks to be around 4 weeks old?? and he wont eat or drink and hasn't moved much at all in his new cage and just lays or huddles and shivers. I KNOW NOW that I should have gotten a rat from a good breeder and such but I already got little Emil and I want to give him a good chance and help him what can I do?? Emilbabypic.jpg here he is with a mini hamster bed..he is so tiny

·
Registered
194 Posts
Judging by the size of him, he is weaned. Rats start eating food as early as 18 days old and are naturally weaned at 4 weeks. Just give him proper food and water, as well as quarantining him to ensure your existing rat doesn't get anything he may be carrying. After about a week or so with no negative signs, all should be good for introductions! I understand your worry, though. I recently adopted a young male rat and he looks incredibly small, similar to yours, though is very healthy and active.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
He looks terrified and this is probably the issue, he's come from a place with lots of friends to one with none (at the moment). I would recommend going back and getting a sibling for him as company and introducing both to your family after they reach about 7 weeks or after 2 weeks quarantine. They introduce better in pairs and its a lot kinder on them in the mean time.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
I agree with getting another baby sibling for him, he's probably petrified and a friend could do wonders. It's also easier on the older rat as healthy babies are pests and once the adult has had enough they have each other to wrestle with. Have you done a full exam on your wee boy to rule out illness? Feel for ribs under the fur, any lung/nasal noises when you hold baby to your ear like a phone receiver (we call this method rat phone)
If he's not eating you might want to supplement with softer foods like baby cereal, frozen thawed veggies, etc.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
We usually adopt our rats at about 3 to 4 weeks old, but to be honest, we don't hardly put them down for the first few weeks they are with us... and that's 7 by 24 attention.

As we adopt our rats one at a time, we provide the constant companionship they need... At around 8 weeks they tend to get more independent and disappear into the woodwork for longer and longer stretches until they take up with the older rat and become a part of the family.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts