Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am suppose to get two baby boys in 5days. My sister had an accidental litter. They are now 3weeks, and eating food. The advice I am needing is that she has 10rats in a small aquarium. Since they are getting so big it's getting crowed bad in there. I didn't know if it be healthier for me to get them now. They are literally on top of each other.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
They should stay with momma rat for 4 weeks. But a couple days early should be okay.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah that's what I was waiting for but she has 3 grown rats and 7 baby's all in one small cage.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
We just adopted Misty... she's supposed to be about 3 weeks old, but only about an inch and a half long... she's been attached to me or my daughter since we got her home yesterday... As soon as we put her down she crawls, walks or runs right back to us and only seems to fall asleep in our laps... I suspect she'll be attached to us this way for at least a couple more weeks... it's nice but constant contact is not easy... We adopted Max at only two weeks old and she literally slept with me for a few weeks...

It's a real commitment, but baby rats need constant touch to stay emotionally healthy... And yes, Misty is napping in my lap as I type this. So if you can see yourself with a rat attached to you 24x7 for the next few weeks, by all means adopt your new rats ASAP.

In some cases the bond you achieve will last a lifetime.. with Max after six weeks attached to me she moved out of the bed one night and moved into an old cabinet, where she spent much of the rest of her life living as a cabinet dwelling hermit. Not that we didn't always have a special bond... she just liked to keep mostly to herself. We hand Raised Fuzzy Rat from a 3 week old pup and she became amazing while Curly raised the same way ran away the first chance she got. Even developing a special relationship and doing everything right and investing a few weeks without sleep won't change your rats true personality when it gets older...

On the other hand, there really is something special about raising a rat baby of your own... no matter who he or she grows up to be... it's your call, but don't expect to get too much sleep for a while if you adopt a baby.

Best luck.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Why is she choosing to keep 3 grown rats and the babies all in the same tiny aquarium?? The poor things. You need to buy a proper cage. Aquariums are never good unless the babies are less than a week old. But they will definitely need a real cage, and two of them to separate boys and girls. The mother can get pregnant the same day she gives birth so I hope the boy who caused the "accident" is nowhere near any girls. It is very unhealthy to have them living in that condition, plus there is no way for them to climb any bars to get exercise. Best of luck finding homes for the babies, I hope you don't ever have to deal with accidental litters again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts