Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So,
My recently lone rat Pipkin has a URI and is getting Doxy/baytril but hes lonely and I planed to get two new rats after
talking to some people that said it would be alright even if he does have a URI because most are caused by myco and "just because
one rat in the cage is having a myco flare up doesn't mean the others will too" I think my rat would really benefit from have some cage mates
again but I need to know I'm doing the right thing...

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in a similar situation and have the same question. Monkey is only on doxy and has been for 3 or 4 days now. We lost his life long cage mate and he is starting to get lonely. Hope your Pipkin starts feeling better!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Please wait to get new rats until he is 100% better.

It can be contagious...It is one of the reasons people push to quarantine new rats.

It is not worth the risk to the new rats. Also new introductions can be stressful, and the added stress could be harmful to the wellbeing of your Pipkin while he is still recovering.

patience is key :) Let him heal up and recover fully before bringing in any new rats.

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Moonkissed, in that case I'll wait until he's 100% better, I really hope he recovers soon!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts