Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends! I'm looking for some advice on what to do with one of my little guys.

He's been through quite a few ailments this year -- chronic respiratory infection, abscess on his face, lice, and now he seems to be losing feeling in his two back legs. I've read that this is somewhat common in male rats as they age, and my vet said that it could also be benign pituitary tumors causing neurological issues. He doesn't seem to be in pain, but he's a lot less active. I do see him stumbling down to get food and water usually once or twice throughout the day, but other than that he just lays in his hammock. He and his cage mate were originally adopted in March of 2019, and I know they were at least a couple months old at that point. So now they should both be roughly 2 years and seven months old.

Anyways, I guess my question is, what have you as a rat owner done in the past when one of your rats gets this old and has trouble moving? I'm doing my best to keep him comfortable, but it seems like every month there's something else wrong with him that he needs to see a vet for. I don't mind taking care of him, but I'm wondering when to just let him go peacefully. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hind Leg Degeneration causes paralysis due to nerve compression in the spine.It is painless.It is amazing how well rats can cope with it .Obviously,make life easier by giving him easy access to food and water.As to when to let him go,if he is still showing interest in life and eating he probably isn’t ready yet.When he has had enough you will know,he will suddenly drop weight and look depressed.All the best to you and your boys X

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input!! He doesn't move as much as he used to but he still eats and drinks water. Sometimes he boggles when I pet him too, so I'll most likely wait until that changes.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts