Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, So my question is, I only have one rat due to my other passing because of a stroke, but now my other one is lonely.. I planned to get some new cage mates for him but then because he's an older rat (2y 2m) he developed a URI and the vet said its probably going to be an on going thing (this was after various ABs) so now I don't know if I should get more rats? I'm not sure the new rats could catch it so I'm a bit worried, I don't want it to be passed on, yet I don't want my boy living alone.. any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Did the vet give you meds? Did the URI clear up after the meds?

It shouldn't be reoccuring if he is healthy, and his enviroment is good.

Is he in a cage. Tanks are really bad ventilation.
What type of bedding are you using?
Is his cage being kept clean?
Is there air fresheners, candles or smoking around him?

It could also be stress related from being alone :(

I would not get any new rats until the URI is cleared up completely. Your vet should give you meds, there are some different meds and they can be taken together if needed.
Here is a good link
http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, The vet did give me meds he was on them for almost 2 months with not much improvement even with different combinations and dosages.
Hes in a very big cage with fleece liners thats cleaned once weekly with daily spot cleans, plus hes toilet trained so his cage doesn't get to dirty. I also change his nesting box material everyday.
I never use any air fresheners or candles either - though it could be stress from being alone as it only started about a week after his cage mate died :(

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It sounds like a chrionic issue which is likely to be myco, I would personally get a couple of baby boys as friends for him and as a lower stress form of intros. If this was a virus then its likely to be well past its infectious stage now and if he's lonely friends may actually help (illness is often exacerbated by stress such as loneliness)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I do think some baby boys would help, just needed to be sure it was OK. Might be getting some friends for him (and me haha) for Christmas!

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
Just make sure you either get them from a source that quarantines or you quarantine them yourself for a couple of weeks before introducing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts