Rat Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
http://guineapigcages.com/cubes.htm

Here's a good site on how to build them. The degus will probably eat thru the coroplast though. I used hardware cloth attached to each grid (because the holes should be no larger than 1" for adults). I put the cage on top of a utility table instead of building a bottom. You know the ones with vinyl wood on top? That way they can't get at any corners to chew. Good luck! Pics!!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Thanks a bunch!!! :)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Hey PrincessRat, you have a heart of gold and obviously love your animals. 20+ yrs ago when I was in high school and keeping rats I quickly became the "last chance or" person at my school. Several friends who got over their heads with animals or who's parents didn't want them anymore came to me begging that I take their pets....and I always did. I became the unofficial animal rescue because my parents were also understanding and loved animals. Before long all I seemed to be doing was taking care of animals and eventually I realized that my original pets weren't getting the attention they used to...none of them were because there were just too many of them. I cared for every last one until old age or illness took them over the bridge....some well into my college years. They had good lives and were loved. But I always feel a little guilty that they didn't get all of the attention individually that they probably should have had. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...you're wonderful, kind, and responsible...don't let people take advantage of you because you have a HUGE heart and they know it. ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hey PrincessRat, you have a heart of gold and obviously love your animals. 20+ yrs ago when I was in high school and keeping rats I quickly became the "last chance or" person at my school. Several friends who got over their heads with animals or who's parents didn't want them anymore came to me begging that I take their pets....and I always did. I became the unofficial animal rescue because my parents were also understanding and loved animals. Before long all I seemed to be doing was taking care of animals and eventually I realized that my original pets weren't getting the attention they used to...none of them were because there were just too many of them. I cared for every last one until old age or illness took them over the bridge....some well into my college years. They had good lives and were loved. But I always feel a little guilty that they didn't get all of the attention individually that they probably should have had. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is...you're wonderful, kind, and responsible...don't let people take advantage of you because you have a HUGE heart and they know it. ;)
Thanks! Most people don't really like me so my rats (and now Degus) are pretty much my only friends besides a couple people like the girl who gave me the degus. The moment I get home from school my little fuzzies are out and playing with me and usually are all day. Right now I have 3 rats and 3 Degus cuddling in my jacket. :) it's crowded in there! Hehe. :) I don't ever want to end up with too many though..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
And I'm having one little issue...Rarity and the Degus are still pretty young, not fully grown yet..so they all have a lot of energy and have been playing together a lot. The thing is they all get a bit rough with eachother and it's fine except Rarity has some little scratches on her now. I've been close by and watching a lot and it's no aggression so far, they are just playing but the degu claws are very sharp and Rarity's a double Rex so when they play it was scratching her. I trimmed their nails and I'm hoping it will not happen anymore... She has one tiny cut on her leg that looks a bit deep though, should I be concerned? Anything I should put on it or anything?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Can you post a pic of the scratch on the leg? And I think animals are the finest friends around, so I'm glad you have them and I'm glad they have you. You are a wonderful soul.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
It's not letting me post the photo :(
It's just a tiny little cut but looks slightly deep like a little tiny chunk taken out of her front leg. Can I put like Neosporin or anything on it just to be safe? I don't think it's anything bad, it's really small but it's an open cut and I wouldn't want it to get infected or anything.?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i know this is a long shot since this was so long ago but, I live in oregon too, and I have a lone goo so I was wondering if this set of degus ever had babies and if so whether you still have them and could possibly set something up with me since they get depressed when they're alone, and i cant find them anywhere, though I was also wondering, assuming that's too hopeful a request, how this pairing worked out, and whether you think my degu (who has lived with mice before, no problem) would fair with a baby rat

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey, i know this is a long shot since this was so long ago but, I live in oregon too, and I have a lone goo so I was wondering if this set of degus ever had babies and if so whether you still have them and could possibly set something up with me since they get depressed when they're alone, and i cant find them anywhere, though I was also wondering, assuming that's too hopeful a request, how this pairing worked out, and whether you think my degu (who has lived with mice before, no problem) would fair with a baby rat
Your degu might (and I stress the word might) be fine with a baby rat. A mouse might be better though. Good luck with your degu!

21 - 32 of 32 Posts