Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK.... so here's my situation. I currently have 8 rats in my FN 142 (that's the double model right) anyhoo I have a new rattie cricket, and I pulled out all the tricks to intro her but my ratties seem to enjoy endlessly attacking her, so she's in one of my super pet cages as a temporary dig. She is going to be getting a dumbo friend from a rescue (just one only one.....keep repeating.....) and I've been toying with two ideas

1. get the FN add on, and creat a three story cage that's sectioned off. Two levels for my 8 ratties and one for my two (not three.......keep repeating)

or

2. getting the FN 141 (is that the single model?) and possibly expand later if need be. :roll: two ferret nations.......no wonder I can't save any money.

Pros and Cons of both

1.CON~ It will be super high. I'm afraid this will make it difficult to clean but hey that's what the step ladder was invented for. The added height makes me nervous should they fall. A drop from a normal FN would be high enough but maybe that's not a huge issue.

PRO~Should I have an eventual successful introduction of the two new ratties, which I'm still hopeful of. They will have a huge cage that can comfortably fit 18 rats, and i'll only have 10 (only 10 no more :? ) it's about 40 $ cheaper

2.CON~It takes up more space. Much more space! It's more money!
PRO~It can be expanded to another full cage in the future!

help.......... 8O

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
you do not want to be cleaning cages on step ladders. i've done that, i ended up reducing the cage because it was so hazadous to my health. perhaps a FN will be sturdier then the one i had but cleaning anything an a step ladder is still going to be dangerous as they in themselves are wobbly. if you do go this route then you need someone to at least hold it steady while you reach around or go for a high end step ladder that more sturdy.

if i could get the step ladder to work then i would go route 1 but i would get the step ladder and do trial run with an imaginary dirty cage first. if that does work then go with option 2. it may be more expensive now but you won't break your neck. also, later you can have a beast like Night has and combine it on the sides. it's just going to be a matter of finding the space for it.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I personally wouldn't want something so super tall- how would you be able to see your ratties?! But then again, I'm a pretty short person, too.

You could, in theory, just buy the expansion, and put it on a table, right? I gave that some thought myself, I wasn't in love with the idea of the legs. And then you'd have the expansion, and you could put it on top later, or try to add it to the side or something? Though you would have to have the exact same height table somehow... Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hummmmm you both brought up some interesting points. Geez now I have to give it more thought. If I really think I can successfully intro them (still hoping) then the extra cage would almost be a waste...........unless I COULD combine the FN142 and FN 141, so it would form an L kinda......is that possible?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i might be. try giving Night a pm, she was the one that put the 142 together so she would know how to do it if there is a way. i would think that the came principles would apply to attaching the two, they seem very similar in design.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll see if I can get in touch with her but actually another thread gave me another idea. I think I might just build a cage out of the cube things. That way if intros go well I can use it for free roam or something!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts