Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our AC broke on the worst day possible. I have school all day tomorrow and so won't be able to monitor temps, I have several fans on, window open, dish of icechips/cold water/frozen peas in cage (in addition to bottle), put a tile on one of the shelves and some extra corner hammocks made of thin material in case the fleece is too insulating.
I feel terrible about the lack of temp control and don't want my babies to be uncomfortable.. What else can I do to keep the temperature stable??

·
Registered
455 Posts
A frozen jug of wter wrapped ina towl lasts all day. You can also make an emergency A/C by putting a (sealed) bag of ice in a large box, some towels for insulation and with a large hole in the front and back. Then just put a fan behind it.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
My go to last resort is to move the cage to the basement floor.

Good luck.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I never had air conditioning till the last decade. I always just kept small plastic jugs of frozen water that I would wrap some fleece over and stick in the cages. If they melted I'd go to the 2 liter ones (like empty pop bottles). Those would always last the whole time I was at work. If you have one of those large natural stone tile squares and put it on those, the tile will hold the cold well and they can lay on it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you have ceramic tiles try popping them in the freezer overnight for a nice cool spot for them to rest. Offer frozen veggies or fruits or make ratciles! You just need an ice tray, a yummy treat or vegetable or fruit, and water then freeze and serve. Pea fishing is another great activity when they're hot. You can also take one of those flat terra cotta pottery planter things and put an ice pack under it for them so they can lay on top and keep cool. Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got a large fan and set it up to pull cold air in at night and use blackout curtains during the day, so far the temp has been pretty stable (low seventies) Fahrenheit inside! I'm very grateful for all the help, melting ice kept the room fairly cool very well the first day

1 - 7 of 7 Posts