Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I went to my local pet store today to look at rats because I've wanted one for a long time. The only problem is that I dont know what I should look for when getting a rat. The guy said that there were only 2 sizes he had big and jumbo. I said jumbo because I wanted a bigger rat, he then asked if i wanted one for a oet or for feed. I said for a pet and he offered me one in the large categorie that was 2 years old. Isnt that a bit old? Well advice is needed should I get a large or jumbo (Im pretty sure i want the jumbo, though) but any other advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd personally want to start with a baby rat, unless it was a rescue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes i would have to agree. I was also trying to decide if I should get a doe or a buck? This would be my first rat and Im still not sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Well everyone's opinion will differ. My girls are pretty active alot of the time. They will relax and sleep on my shoulder though. I think males are calm and willing to just sit with you. But that's just what I heard :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I heard that but I also heard that they bite more and urinate a lot. I want a more laid back type of rat though...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Rats do not, in general, like to bite. Usually they'll only bite if they're frightened and unused to people or if they've been abused or traumatized.

Males don't urinate THAT much. :lol:

I love my squishy boys.

As for a 2 year old rat, yes, that's quite old and if it's been in a pet store all its life it probably won't have been handled or treated nicely... But that's all up to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes thats what I thought i wish i could get one from a breeder but there is none around where I live...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Well, perhaps wait until they get new ones? Check out a shelter, or a different pet store maybe?

You can always post in the Rats Need Homes board and see what happens ^w^

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
No one seems to be mentioning it but you need to get 2 rats since rats are very social animals. Keeping one by itself is only to be considered under special circumstances.

Rats live 2-2.5 years on average so your 2 year old "jumbo" is hitting the golden age.

Are there any rescues in the area you might check out? They would have a much better idea of the rats in their care and should be able to match a pair to your needs/personality.

In general, girls are busy busy things, always on the go, and males are much more laidback once they reach puberty. Before that they are as active as the girlies. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I've decided on 2 "jumbo" males but the guy does not know their age. They look healthy and happy and everything but can someone help me to try and figure out their age? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
jswins09 said:
Well I've decided on 2 "jumbo" males but the guy does not know their age. They look healthy and happy and everything but can someone help me to try and figure out their age? Thank you.
Post pictures, we'll try to guess, I suppose. :)

Not everyone's guess as to the age is right, after all... My SPCA listed a couple rats as 6 years old once... Kinda wondered about that... :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts