Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my boy Ramses has been sick for 3 days, he's 2 years 4 months old. He cant hold food, he makes movement with his front paws when i try to feed him, he is clumsy, sneezes sometimes. He refuses to eat, i try to force feed him but its hard to get the syringe in his mouth, he licks sometimes little bit of food from my fingers but the amounts are small. He sleeps alot and when he is awake he walks clumsy and washes him self alot. I try to feed him baby food with smashed bananas, oats, ensure mix with liquid. I called vet he said to look after him for two days and then come to visit. Im going tomorrow to vet. What is wrong with my boy Ramses? Pt? Vet said in meantime to give him hydrocortison 10mg per day, is this good? He has had respitory problems in past, treated with baytril when he was 1 years old. Does somebody know whats wrong with him? Tips with force feeding? Im posting from my playstation bcs broken computer so typing is slow and akward. Thx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can somebody help him how can i syringe feed him, i cant get it in his mouth he struggles back and pushes syringe away, video or something? I could not find video how to force feed. He hasent eat lot in 2 days but doesent seem to lost alot weight and has energy to wash him self alot and brux too and push back when i try to feed him. Please can anybody help im so worried for him?

·
Registered
425 Posts
How big is the syringe you are using? If you use a small 1mL syringe then you can give him smaller amounts more easily. He could have a PT but it could also be an ear infection, they have many of the same symptoms. Leave soft food in his cage all the time so he can lick it if he wants... I would try just offering ensure in a syringe and offer the banana oatmeal on your finger or on a spoon.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big is the syringe you are using? If you use a small 1mL syringe then you can give him smaller amounts more easily. He could have a PT but it could also be an ear infection, they have many of the same symptoms. Leave soft food in his cage all the time so he can lick it if he wants... I would try just offering ensure in a syringe and offer the banana oatmeal on your finger or on a spoon.
its 2 mL short one. Problem is he turns his head away, i have tryed laying him on his back, on stomack but just cant get it in his mouth, he gets stressed alot. He digs his ear with back leg sometimes, i think more often than normal. Can vet give antiobiotics that are given in ear or intra muscle? I think its going to be very hard to give his medicine in mouth if he strugles and dont want eat at all. I dont have anybody to help me hold him my rats and dog is all friends i have. Does ear infection cause front paws movement, he looks like he try to dig or push the ground, he also pushes with his mouth. Its so devastating see my little boy in discomfort :,(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I would take him to the vet to see if he has a PT or just an ear infection. If he has an ear infection they can give him antibiotics.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Ear infection can make it hard for them to balance, it messes with their inner ear where they balance much like a human. (I think this is true but I'm not totally sure) That would make it hard for him to stay standing in a normal fashion. Also don't really force food, just offer it repeatedly until he has had as much as he will take, when my girl was sick she would eat hard boiled egg and banana and oatmeal. Ensure wasn't too popular with her when she was sick either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ear infection can make it hard for them to balance, it messes with their inner ear where they balance much like a human. (I think this is true but I'm not totally sure) That would make it hard for him to stay standing in a normal fashion. Also don't really force food, just offer it repeatedly until he has had as much as he will take, when my girl was sick she would eat hard boiled egg and banana and oatmeal. Ensure wasn't too popular with her when she was sick either.
Thank you very much. His head position is normal but he's clumsy and no smell in in ears. But he refuse to eat at all, im scared he will fade. Yes i think its better not to force him eat as it eats alot of power and causes stress. He ate from my hand in first day of these symptoms arrived but now im lucky if he takes couple drops of food. He stands back in hundsed position but when he walks he's clumsy. All these symptoms came very suddenly. Im going to go make him soup wig t bananas and oats and call different vet because she's not answering phone and not at clinic. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back from vet

So we came back from vet. He has infection in his mouth on gum. How does gum get infected? He got antibiot shot, 2 hydration liquid shots, painkiller shot and steroid shot. The vet give us antibiotics and Ramses must regain strenght this weekend and on monday we go again to see vet and sedatate him to have better look on mouth and what to do. Will my boy get better is gum infection dangerous? They took also sample from urine and vet said that lot of protein is in urine, what causes this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good news

Today i woke up and ramses was drinking him self from water bottle :). He looks alot better but is still sick. He sleeps after i feed him ensure with syringe and give his medicine witch is good i guess for healing progress. He's sneezy so on monday i when i go again to vet baytril would be good also? I add honey to his food and water to help with sneezing and antiobiotic boost. Im going to go buy garlic so i can make boost drink with honey, this has worked well on my earlier rats. Is this honey garlic mix drink bad if i give him antiobiotics (amoxillin), does it mess it up or something? I know you shouldn't give antiobiotics with yougurth. I let ramses sleep and rest in my bed where's soft and warm. My dog lenny (cotton de tulear) has been very jealous for ramses bcs he gets alot of attention :D looks at me with this face " what about me?"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Aww I'm glad your little guy is doing better :) I don't think it's dangerous for rats to eat garlic (within reason), but you could always google to see if there would be any complications with the antibiotic and the honey/garlic drink. Hope he gets better soon!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts