Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, hubby & I visited a breeder & selected 2 little girls (sisters), who we will be bringing home next week. One little girl has a smooth, standard coat, while the other has a fluffier coat, which the breeder was calling a velveteen. Both parents are supposedly velveteen, as well (though the mom definitely looks fluffier than dad). As I was researching more about this particular coat type, I stumbled upon a little tidbit about double velveteens having wandering patchy baldness as adults. Now, I know some people love those half-bald rats, & I don't mean to be insulting, but they're just not my thing!! I emailed the breeder & asked if this was going to happen to our fluffy little girl, & she assured me that it won't. But since everything I've read says otherwise, I'm now wondering if I can trust my breeder!! Or maybe I'm just not understanding how the velveteen gene works?? If this baby is going to lose its hair, I'm no longer sure I want her. Can anyone help reassure me before I pick her up?? For background ... The parents of this litter are brother & sister, & their father was velveteen & mom was standard. Of the babies , most were standard fur, with only 2 or 3 velveteen.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'm no expert on velveteen but it is a dominant gene much like rex. This means that the litter make up is very similar in principle to rex matings which i am more used to. As you've got a sister who is smooth coated then the patents must be velveteen carrying smooth coated (so neither can be double velveteen). This means that your wavy coated girl has a 1 in 3 chance of being a double velveteen. I'm not sure how familiar you are with genetics or punnet squares do if you want to know more Ley me know. In terms of knowing for sure if your girl is or isn't is tough. i know in rex (which some people believe that velveteen is actually just a rubbish version of rex lol) that double rexes can be fully furred if you breed for that. similarly single rexes can become partially furred at different times of there lives (especially first moult and in old age) so it's not a simple answer. If she's an experienced velveteen breeder the chances are that she is good at judging which is which but even then there will be no garuntees. i can't say I'm a big fan of bald or semi bald rats but ive had a couple old balding rexes abs whilst they look a bit like something had chewed on them a bit they were such lovely rat people that you end up looking beyond the fur (or lack of it). Though you do end up spending time explaining that your rat isn't diseased to those not in the know lol

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, Isamurat -- the one in 3 thing is exactly what I worked out last night, once I calmed down enough to remember my college genetics classes. ;). The breeder is telling me that velveteen doesn't work like Rex (which is why she says she chose to work w/ it, since she isn't a fan of the balding rats, either), but it would seem that a lot of others on the web don't necessarily agree with her. But hey -- maybe she knows something they don't ... or maybe what she's calling a velveteen is actually just a bad Harley (which is another fur type she specializes in). In any event, it would appear that the odds are in my favor (even if the breeder is completely wrong), & I will be THRILLED if this baby comes to resemble her mom (she really was darling!), so I'll just count on the fact that we'll likely be bonded to our new girl before she turns ugly. ;). I have to admit, though -- my biggest concern is presenting a mangy-looking rat to my already rat-aphobic extended family after I've spent so much time trying to convince them how cute pet rats are!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Our Cloud loses pretty much the same patch of fur every now and then.... She's a really great rat, but she does look a bit mangy with the bald patch.... For now she has her full winter coat and looks and feels like a powder puff... The coat falling out tends to coincide with a mite infestation that recurs every few month... But the mites aren't the cause of the fur loss... I suppose with my own thinning hair, pets really do look like their owners...

Cloud's an accomplished true shoulder rat, you'd expect more people to comment on her shaggy appearance when she loses a patch of fur, but once folks get over her being a rat, they're pretty accepting of her being a partially bald rat. In any case, she's one of those rats that go all limp when you pick them up, so with the soft fur and dumbo ears, she really looks and feels every bit like a plush toy animal. Poor thing, she's just so much fun to squish... it's hard to stop yourself.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts