Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oldest rat is from a pet shop and so was her sister, her sister had a massive tumour on her lower stomach and later died of a brain tumour, so I know that they have bad genetics most likely because of how they were bred. The oldest that is still alive has had a respiratory issue ever since I got her, I have taken her to the vet so many times and after lots of medication it’s still not going away at all. She grew a fatty lump early this year and I had it removed and recently she has had a urine infection and an inflamed bladder ( theres diluted blood in her pee ). She has been on medication for over a week and it seemed to have gotten better but as soon as she finished it it came back just the same. Now one of the babies has a breathing issue and I don’t know what to do, I don’t earn enough money to keep having them taken to the vet (bearing in mind I am 16), I’ve had it done so many times already. What am I doing wrong? I feel horrible :(

·
Registered
808 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your rats are going through this. however, it may not be anything you "did wrong" or aren't doing. If it['s a genetic issue, it's likely to have happened regardless of what you did.How old is your rat and when you last had her at the vet, did you and the vet discuss how to address these issues, for the long term?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so sorry you and your rats are going through this. however, it may not be anything you "did wrong" or aren't doing. If it['s a genetic issue, it's likely to have happened regardless of what you did.How old is your rat and when you last had her at the vet, did you and the vet discuss how to address these issues, for the long term?
My rat is around 2 years old now, she has been to the vets countless times and because of covid, I haven’t been able to go in and discuss anything properly, she has been on medication over and over again and it seems to get some what better whilst she’s on it but after she comes off, it’s back to normal. I think she may have passed something on to the babies aswell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi, there's somethings you can do. What bedding do you use for a start? You can get cheap humidifiers on amazon to put near their cage to help them with respitory issues you can also get a thermometer/humidity room measure for cheap.

You need to think of rats as athsmatics, for example don't use sprays or perfumes or anything like that. Make sure their cage is well ventilated.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hi, there's somethings you can do. What bedding do you use for a start? You can get cheap humidifiers on amazon to put near their cage to help them with respitory issues you can also get a thermometer/humidity room measure for cheap.

You need to think of rats as athsmatics, for example don't use sprays or perfumes or anything like that. Make sure their cage is well ventilated.
@Angel12 -
Please don't quote my posts consoling someone who lost a pet - to backstop your attempts to make it sound as if it were their fault. While your advice may be valid - you have no clue if doing otherwise is the cause of the loss. Do better.

·
Registered
86 Posts
@Angel12 -
Please don't quote my posts consoling someone who lost a pet - to backstop your attempts to make it sound as if it were their fault. While your advice may be valid - you have no clue if doing otherwise is the cause of the loss. Do better.
Uhm... I accidentally responded to you rather than the main post. I don't understand how this makes it seem like it is their fault I'm giving them advice for their baby rats so they don't have to keep going to vets... This wasn't supposed to be attached to your comment at all... Yikes chill 😅

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
543 Posts
Let‘s just end this now, before it escalates. . .

From my point of view as a bystander, this seems like a misunderstanding. Everything’s okay, and obviously nobody meant to be offensive or rude. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I use Kaytee clean and cosy bedding I think, it’s a bit dusty but the babies don’t seem to have an issue with it plus they love burrowing in it. I will check those things out too thanks x

1 - 9 of 9 Posts