Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)

I read somewhere that you can use amoxicillin tablets and make a mixture to give to your rats to help with mycoplasma flare ups.

I have amoxicillin tablets 500mg. Ones that I was prescribed for a tooth infection and I'm wondering how exactly I would do this?

How much of the capsule do I mix with a liquid or baby food for each dose.

My girls weight (was taken on May 18th) and they're 275g and 350g

Any information you have on how to do this would be really appreciated as its my first time making my own.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
http://ratguide.com/meds/antimicrobial_agents/amoxicillin.php

Your rats weigh about .6 and .8 pounds respectively. The guide recommends a starting dose of 10mg/pound, so your rats would get 6mg and 8mg per dose twice daily. How much that ends up being in mL depends on how much liquid you mix the amoxi in. Is it a solid tablet or a powder filled plastic capsule? If you were to mix the entire pill with 20mL liquid, you'd get 25mg/mL. Divide the mg you need by the concentration of your mix (25) and you end up with 0.24mL and 0.32mL respectively. You should be able to measure that amount easily in 1mL syringes. Keep in mind that once you start an antibiotic you need to run the full course which is 10-14 days for amoxi

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 500mg powder capsule!

Id be mixing it with whatever amount of liquid to have to dosage for the whole 14 day period.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if I mix the powder tablet with 20ml of liquid then 2 times a day I'd be giving them 0.2 and 0.3ml/cc of the mixed antibiotic?

I'm sorry if I sound stupid. It's my first time owning rats and I want to make sure 100% I comprehend exactly what you're saying before I give it to them as I don't want to cause them any harm.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Yeah that's about right. I'd mix it with 10ml though, and give .12ml and .15ml, faster that way if they don't like it. I use strawberry syrup with a little water.
Depending on how fine the powder is, you might want to crush it further, as it does not dissolve. I use the back of a spoon on some kitchen paper.
And in case you don't know it must be kept in the refrigerator. And you need to stir it thoroughly before each dose as some of the powder settles to the bottom.
It's also only good for 10-14 days, then it needs to be thrown out.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No problem. :)
Also it might give them diarrhea, if they get diarrhea a little yogurt with live cultures should help, I use plain greek yogurt with a little raw honey and cinnamon mixed in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts