Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I just registered here, so Hello everyone!

Ok so I rescued 3 rats couple days ago... and it seems that 2 of them are pregnant 8O . Melody has a big belly and you can see her nipples, her tummy wasnt this big couple days ago. Now it looks like that Sassy my other rescue rat also is pregnant , her nipples started to show, and her belly also has grown.
People have told me that it would be ok to put a friend for melody since she is pregnant , you know to help her out. So I put sassy there, and then realised that both of them are pregnant. Is it ok to keep 2 pregnant rats in the same cage?
I only have 2 cages, one cage where all of my other rattie ladies are at the moment, and one where Sassy and melody are. I also have one small hamster cage witch is WAY too small for a rat.
I'm so worried for my little girls :(
Thank you in advance

EDIT: Scroll to the end for.. BABY PICTURES!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Re: Need help...(pregnant rattie/s)

Hi - I dealt with a similar situation a few weeks back. I run a rat rescue and a girl was surrendered...24 hours later she had 13 babies. 2 weeks after that I had a 6-8 week old girl surrendered and a week later she had 2 babies - never knew she was pregnant.

Dont get me wrong, the babies are adorable but this is way harder than I ever imagined...and as many of us that there are that love ratties, its so hard to re-home them.

Consider an e-spay...just consider it. Just in cages and bedding alone I have spent HUNDREDS of dollars already.

Good luck to you, no matter what you decide.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

DFW_Rat_Luvr said:
Hi - I dealt with a similar situation a few weeks back. I run a rat rescue and a girl was surrendered...24 hours later she had 13 babies. 2 weeks after that I had a 6-8 week old girl surrendered and a week later she had 2 babies - never knew she was pregnant.

Dont get me wrong, the babies are adorable but this is way harder than I ever imagined...and as many of us that there are that love ratties, its so hard to re-home them.

Consider an e-spay...just consider it. Just in cages and bedding alone I have spent HUNDREDS of dollars already.

Good luck to you, no matter what you decide.
I know its not going to be easy. But the pregnancy is already showing, and I think Melody will be in labour in a week or less, not sure about sassy yet, she doesnt have as big belly as melody.
E-spay? (sorry im from Finland, and Ive never heard of that term before , possibly cos we talk in finnish ;) )
The re-homing part does worry me a bit, but a ratty breeder friend(Who is currently abroad :evil: )of mine will be taking some of them.
and I will keep atleast 3 of them.

I just wanted to know if its "ok" to keep 2 pregnant ratties in the same cage, since I dont currently have money to buy a new cage. Im getting 2 jenny ferplast cages and a ferplast dune on 23rd day though ( thats where my money went :oops: ) Thank you for the reply though DFW

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

it can be good & it can be bad

I'll try to explain (taking note that english isn't your native language)

Some rat mothers are ok with having another mother with them, some aren't. This is were you have to watch them very carefully. Sometimes a mother becomes very protective & she may harm the other adult. Or maybe she can be very possessive & she will take all the babies. On the other hand, sometimes 2 mothers will share the responsibilities of a combined litter. I've seen this many times. You just never know, you will have to determine this as things progress.

Now the thing about mixed litters... you will not have a clue which baby goes with which mother. This may or may not be a problem.

As for the cage. You do not want the mothers to be in a cage with levels. They could attempt to carry the babies upstairs & this can be dangerous.

You can use something as cheap as a plastic storage container as a temporary nursery. I believe I have a photo of one somewhere. (will edit this post to show a nursery set up used by many people)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

A1APassion said:
it can be good & it can be bad

I'll try to explain (taking note that english isn't your native language)

Some rat mothers are ok with having another mother with them, some aren't. This is were you have to watch them very carefully. Sometimes a mother becomes very protective & she may harm the other adult. Or maybe she can be very possessive & she will take all the babies. On the other hand, sometimes 2 mothers will share the responsibilities of a combined litter. I've seen this many times. You just never know, you will have to determine this as things progress.

Now the thing about mixed litters... you will not have a clue which baby goes with which mother. This may or may not be a problem.

As for the cage. You do not want the mothers to be in a cage with levels. They could attempt to carry the babies upstairs & this can be dangerous.

You can use something as cheap as a plastic storage container as a temporary nursery. I believe I have a photo of one somewhere. (will edit this post to show a nursery set up used by many people)
Even though English aint my native tongue I can speak it rather well, just dont know ALL of the fancy words :)

The cage I have has one "level" . I built the cage myself :oops: Ill find a picture of it in a sec. I would really appriciate a picture of a temporary nursery :)
Melody has had one litter before. She had a friend with her last time in the cage ( I called the ex-owner and asked about melody and sasse :evil: it appears that she purposely made them pregnant . I originally rescued them cos she was going to feed them to snakes since she got bored of rat breeding....I just dont understand the idea of making them purposely pregnant and then after some convincing(not to give them to snakes and give em to me )gave them to me without telling it. blegh)

I would appreciate more opinnions of 2 pregnant ratties together in the same cage.
And thank you ALOT for your reply Passion :)

EDIT: Seems like I dont have a picture of the cage I have for the 2 now, but its 120x70X40 CM .

·
Registered
407 Posts

Im glad you got a quick reply :)
THere are lots of really knowledgable people on this site - I know theyve helped me out of a jam more than once :)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you DFW, Yeah ive noticed that there is alot of nice and knowledgable people on this site. Read alot of posts here, and been spying this forum for sometime now :)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

I can't find the picture... I posted it on a thread on this forum but I can't find the darn thing now.

I'm sure you have the big plastic storage tubs in your area.
something like this:

Since you said you built your cage this should be an easy project for you.

The bins I have seen constructed... the lid had a square section removed & then covered with hardware cloth (the galvanized cage wire) & additional holes where added along the top of the tub part of the storage container. This is easily done with a drill or with a soldering iron (hot tool that you can stick through the plastic to melt it)

I'll keep looking for that pic but maybe this offers a general idea for now. You sound creative.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hmmm, Thank you Passion.

I think I know what to craft. I was thinking of making a nursery cage from a plastic storage box yesterday, but couldnt find any "near" me.. I live in the middle of now where currently, and I have 3 hour walk to town ( dont own a car!). Moving back to the city in week or so :)
I hope that the cage I have now will do for atleast a week *sob*

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Ok I found a picture... looked the wrong folder first.
This is old picture, the upper cage is a ferplast jenny which is no longer attached to the bigger self made cage. so its only the cage on the bottom now. Also I removed the "hammock" near the door, the red thing. And the plastic bottom of the ferplast cage.
The cage still has the other level thats built in the cage and cannot be removed. ( the cage is hard to clean, and only has one door :oops: thats why am getting new cages )

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

you definitely want to restrict the expectant Mothers to a space that won't allow them to carry babies up ramps & stairs & such

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

hehehehehe...

look up about 3 posts, I had to burn a few brain cells myself trying to find that photo

I actually have a few set ups like this as emergency transports... I do have to be prepared because of hurricanes

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I really dont know what to do now.
Cant get those plastic boxes near me, I would have to walk 3 hours to the damned town, take a train or a bus to the city (1 hour or so) and then try to find a shop.

I do have a hamster cage http://www.dabners.co.uk/cdview/dabners_images/IMG_0674.JPG like that
without the accesories. But I think that thats way too small for even one rat to stay couple days before my Ferplast dune comes :(
All though, I could in theory take away one "shelf" from my ferplast cage, that I made from a little bigger hamster cage... but still its small. Im gutted :(

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

Do you have a good vet who would spay a rat nearby? An e-spay is an emergency spay when a rat is pregnant. They can do them almost up to the birth. One week out isn't bad at all. Two litters when you are already strapped for cash, and have no cages etc...its horrific to think of! 8O

I did one ooops litter and it was expensive, and very very time-consuming. I never want to do that again.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

This is a rare occasion ... Im not usually short on money. Just took my dog be put down cos he had a tumour in his mouth and it had spread(he was 11 years old and vet said that it would of not been good idea to do a surgery ) So Most of my money went for the medicines for my doggy (trust me werent cheap).
I dont feel comfortable to get my rats e-spayed. I want to atleast give the little rittens a chance to live :( and ive heard that spaying is risky for the rat.
I do have a vet friend of mine who told me that I should let the ratties be in the one cage together. Since I explained to her that the girls dont spend much time at the level , and she said that its rare that the mother would take the rittens up there as long as I dont keep anything on the level, and also that since im not keeping the rats in the cage for long. She is coming over at sunday with a dune :)
I have alot of food for my rats (Suparat, eggs, chicken, different kind of veggies, meats, plus baby food which is recomended by lots of breeders around here :)
So I have everything else but cash, and a spare cage / storage box.

EDIT: edited a typo... 8O

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Melody is giving birth now I think 8O shes licking her... umm downunder and "sitting" in her nest *panic*

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

that cage you showed with the link will work in a pinch... take out all of the shelves

The mom is not going to need a lot of room since she will be sitting on babies for up to 18 hours a day for the first week

This will buy you some time even if you are having babies as I type

As for the "mom won't take them upstairs/that is rare"

You'll just have to trust some strangers on this... it does happen, it is not rare & the consequences of not heeding the warning being offered can result in the injury or death of the babies that you so want to give a fighting chance at life.

The cage you showed, the small hamster cage will just have to do but you need to get mom in there before babies arrive... moving her after is not advisable because it can stress her & she may (I stress MAY) abandon the litter.

Keep us updated & good luck

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So I should just take melody out and move her to the other cage? but but shes in labour 8O *more panic*

1 - 20 of 124 Posts