Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got three rats just over a week ago and I am new to pet rats. I am struggling to get them used to being picked up. They are six weeks old. If I put my hand in the cage or try and pick them up they will go and hide in one of the houses. If I pick them up they riggle a lot so I tend not too so as not to stress them out. I've been putting them in my jumper, which they seem quite content with. They will normally hide in my sleeve and they sometimes brux. Also when I leave the cage door open for them to free roam they wont come out. If anyone has got any tricks on taming rats I would love to know. Thanks. :)馃悁

Registered
It's great that they allow you to keep them in your jumper! I think you should keep on taking your rats into your jumper and just doing chores and things with them there- that'll help socialize them :)
You can also take the rats to free-range on your bed. You can sit with them under a blanket, and the darkness and warmth should make the rats feel calmer, and hopefully braver! If they start to snooze a little you can try to pet them a bit too.
You should also simply sit by them, and interact with them, each day. If they're not used to you yet, just sit by their cage with the door open- offer some lickable treats like yogurt on your fingers, and they'll eventually get used to you- then you can start experimenting with picking them up :)

It's important to let the rats go at their own pace though- some rats and shyer than others, and it's natural :)
Good luck with your babies!

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much. I have tried the yoghurt trick but none of them see interested they will just hide in their spacepod. Its like they have forgotten who I am once I put them back in the cage. They are happy to be stroked outside of the cage but if I put my hand in the cage they get spooked. I will try free roaming them on my bed thanks for the tip! 馃悁 :D

Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
Their cage is their safe space so they don't expect it to be invaded, you just need to be patient with them. You can also try throwing treats into their cage when you pass it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts