Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have 2 boys and one girl, all fixed. I just got another boy from petsmart who was all by himself cuz he has battle injuries from his petsmart cagemates picking on him. He has a very calm personality and is really great with being handled already. He's a sweetie and I really want to keep him.
The first intro went ok. With my first boy nothing happened, with my alpha surprisingly he allowed Rufus to pin him several times, and with my girl she was terrified of him even tho she is bigger and he was nice to her. 2nd intro it went great with the boys and my girl wasn't scared anymore. I gave him a bath and tried letting him in there cage for a minute to see what would happen and right away my girl got possessive of a soda box and tried to fight him. I separated them. What's should I do next if they get along in a neutral environment but not in the cage where my girl can be territorial? Not sure how to make that transition smoother. Any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am presently introducing 2 intact male to my resident,,,,washed the bath tub...filled it a bowl of water and treats,,,yogurt,,,,veggies, pinning may not be to serious, unless there is blood, rats are alot like people,,,new things (rats) may upset them. Just keep calm, re-assure them, I , sometime , when the boys gets agitated just pull him out for a few moments,,,nuggie, him, chin rubs,,and then drop him back in the mix,,just talk to the rats.......may all go welll

·
Registered
870 Posts
It's best to introduce them into a cage that has been thoroughly cleaned and remodeled (new furnishings, things moved around) so the present residents don't recognize it as their own and the new residents can be accepted into it. I would let them play together several times, switch rats from cage to cage so everyone's smelled everyone else's scents, then clean the cage while they played together and try putting everyone together in the cage at that point.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts