Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a 13 year old who has been getting into some trouble...
Anyhow i need something that i can come home to and either have just sit in my lap or run around the house with me. I also want something that i can teach tricks too. A rat seemed like the ideal thing.
But i need to get somet hings straight and some opinions:
What kind of speciafic tricks can they be taught?
Regular maintenece?
Social needs. (One or two? If i spend lots of time with it will it need another?)
Special needs
How much on AVERAGE
Just anything i should know more about them!

Lol no i am not planning on breeding just to get that out!
Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
Hi there JokerGirl, welcome to the website :D

there is lots of information on the various forums, particularly in rat behaviour and rat health. these will answer lots of your questions. also, there is a search function at the top of the page which will allow you to find information. it might be nice for you to just look through for a while - and if you need any specific questions afterwards we will be happy to help.

good luck!

·
Registered
347 Posts
There are so many tricks pet rats can be taught. They can be taught to come when you call their names, go 'up', since they can balance well they should be able to walk across something fairly skinny, and sit (though I've never heard of a sitting rat!), and so much more! But to train them any of these tricks, it requires patience.

Just make sure that you give your rats their basic needs and lots of attention! It would be best to look around on the forums to see everything that they need.

As so many people have mentioned on these forums, rats are very social. So it would be best to get two or more. Have you worked out whether your getting a male or a female? Just mentioning, I have found that females co-operate more then males, and since they are much more playful they will be more capable of what you want them to do. But this is just my opinion.

Wish you all the best, and I hope I've helped you a little!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
JokerGirl said:
I am a 13 year old who has been getting into some trouble...
Anyhow i need something that i can come home to and either have just sit in my lap or run around the house with me. I also want something that i can teach tricks too. A rat seemed like the ideal thing.
But i need to get somet hings straight and some opinions:
What kind of speciafic tricks can they be taught?
Come at their names, litter box training.... some people manage more difficult things like stand up, or mazes and such
Regular maintenece?
Cage needs to be kept clean, they need out of cage time, they need a decent diet and healthy snacks
Social needs. (One or two? If i spend lots of time with it will it need another?)
Two. Always two. Most people figure that even if you can spend more than 5 hours a day with the rat with you, not in the cage or whatever... you still can't speak rat and play with it while you're sleeping
Special needs
They need space and a decent diet... kinda like a dog....
How much on AVERAGE
How much what? Money? Be prepared to spend about 100 dollars on a decent cage, unless you build your own or find one on craigslist, secondhand shops, etc. The rats themselves you can get from the SPCA or something similar for very little money, but you'll also have to consider bedding, food, toys, and a slush fund in case of vet visits.
Just anything i should know more about them!

Lol no i am not planning on breeding just to get that out!
Thanks in advance! :D

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Read as much about them as you can! Rats are wonderful pets, but they are not cheap or low-maintenance. This forum has a lot of good information, so read through posts, in this section and health, behavior, and housing, and also read websites about rat care. And of course ask questions, people here are very knowledgeable about rats ^_^

·
Registered
39 Posts
JokerGirl said:
thanks all! I really appreciate the immediate help! I will check around and see what else i can find.
:) I agree with Mana
When I was considering getting rats, I bought 3 books, talked to a few breeders, and browsed this forum (and asked questions). If you're really serious about getting rats, I'd suggest you read up as much as you can about them so you can give them the best care.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts