Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls are outgrowing their playpen...I had no idea how high they can jump. So I'm thinking about ratproofing a room for playtime.

I worry about them climbing and falling or otherwise hurting themselves. What should I look out for in ratproofing? Where do you guys let your rats roam free?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i let mine run around the house but maybe if u are worried about that stuff maybe u should get them a ball so u dont have to worry as much

·
Registered
981 Posts
Oh wow I'd do neither of those things ratrover just suggested.

Letting them run wherever around the house is very dangerous. A rat could easily slip away from you into some hole somewhere and you'll never find them again. Also, there is concern of them getting into something they aren't supposed to be in (Any one of the various deadly cleaning chemicals we keep in the house). Or they could chew a cord and electrocute themselves!

And then a ball isn't good for a rat either. It effectively blinds and just frightens them. Rats are meant to run without a ball.

What I do is use my bathroom. I take everything off of the ground (Trash can, toilet brush) and put that in the bath tub. Then I seal off the door and let them go. Unfortunately I do feel it's a little boring for them so I need to either get some more toys in there or rat proof my entire room, which is something I can't give you much advice on.

·
Registered
730 Posts
A ball is a VERY bad idea for rats, as they are very intelligent creatures who need interaction with humans and to be able to jump and climb. Letting them have free range all over your house is fine if everything is ratproofed properly. Personally I'd be too scared to do it/my landlord would kick me out.

I'm another one who uses the bathroom for freerange.

It looks quite plain at the moment because most of the bigger toys went to the new kitten when I got her. i've been building up more rats stuff slowly but surely.

·
Registered
981 Posts
reachthestars, is your bathroom always set up like that or do you do it only for free range time? I just wonder about the time it must take to get everything set up every time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
We let our rats run around my daughter's room during free range time. We did nothing to rat proof the room but they also have our undivided attention. So it's basically more of an interactive free range time. They're allowed to explore everything in the room and even try hoarding some of my daughter's Playmobile toys. What they're going to do with small plastic hedgehogs is anyone's guess.

Basically though I'd watch for electrical wires, sharp objects, or poisonous plants. But you should also be interacting with them during free range time so keeping safe shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
730 Posts
haha, just for freerange. Setting up is the fun part, it the cleaning afterwards that always take me hours (only because I do it one peice at a time and stop for snacks alot in teh process). I'd day it takes abou -10 minutes to set up each time. I leve all the freerange stuff right by the door in the rat room so it's pretty handy to get at.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I agree with the others on both accounts (freeranging willy-nilly and the balls).

We have a Martin's Playpen, which is very nice to use when cleaning cages. It has a top you secure, so you don't have to worry about them jumping or climbing out. We also use a bathroom setup, or sometimes the tub (we have a sliding glass door that keeps them in... kind of a second playpen!).

In our old housing situation, we did use an empty room for free-ranging, that was set up for the rats all the time. But it was *empty*. the door was ALWAYS closed when they were in there, and we were always in there as well. That worked out well and I do hope to do it again in the future, but I would never just let the rats run around the house. I know some people do, but oy, so much could happen.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wouldn't leave them unattended. But my bathroom is much too small for free range time. I was thinking of using my office or the guest bedroom. The office has their cage in it, but also many wires. Still, I like the idea that you can close the door and they can't jump out.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What I find super easy is to just throw a blanket over my bed. It's theirs (actually, it used to be my dog's, too, so it has sentimental value! Aww), and I throw whatever I feel like on it- boxes, the fabric that I use as their cage liner, paper (they loove paper, it's amazing), and of course, myself doing homework are some of their favorite things (Belgie likes to steal pens, and Sevilla's all about trying to eat my textbooks!). When it's time for bed, I just fold (er, more like scrunch/jumble together) everything up in the blanket and set it down by their cage. In the morning I make my bed and unfold the blanket, and add rats! Viola!

This is especially nice since their cage is right at the foot of my bed on a little desk, and I made them a "bridge" from my bed to their cage, so they can come and go as they please. The don't even poop on their blanket anymore, they run nicely back to their litter pan in the cage!

·
Registered
482 Posts
My boys run around our living room. As we just moved in, we don't have much furniture (lol), our sofa is low to the ground so the worst they do it go behind it and come out the other side. It's against a radiator so they like the warmth!

My boys have never been chewers, especially Addo (the bigger of the two), but I do turn off most of the mains just in case! And of course I watch them carefully.

·
Registered
722 Posts
My roommate and I keep the rats in the upstairs hallway for free range. There aren't any cords for them to get into, so it works pretty well. The only problem is keeping them away from the stairs- so one of us always gaurds that area.

I didn't rat-proof my room, but my girls get a lot of my attention when they're out. I've trained my older two not to go behind my desk- the only time they go near it is when I'm over there. But I use my closet a lot, too (it's almost the size of my room- I even have another bed in there! Thank god for super-old houses!) The upside to my closet is that I didn't have to rat-proof anything, and there's a lot of stuff in there for them to explore.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My mom rat proofed her computur room.Pookie squeakes a lot when it is home time she never used to do that.Scrumph runs a lot she is verey hyper and cute.Today Pookie slept in a box of costumes.
Tristan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts