Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to build a ramp for my rat's cage, I'm not sure what the best material is but they need to be able to climb it and it needs to be washable. I'd assume wood would be best, but I'm unsure what wood is safe. The only online results I get are for wood chews so I really need some help here.

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
92 Posts
I'd go with the same woods that are safe to chew, because they will be chewing on it whether you want them to or not.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I need to build a ramp for my rat's cage, I'm not sure what the best material is but they need to be able to climb it and it needs to be washable. I'd assume wood would be best, but I'm unsure what wood is safe. The only online results I get are for wood chews so I really need some help here.
Get a solid, fairly thick branch ... sand it and cut to size.

·
Registered
304 Posts
You could also get a plank of wood from the lumber yard .... and then get those rope and wood ladders and use that on the plank of wood.
I used one of these on a plastic ramp that came with the cage and used a small thin bungee around the back of the ramp to secure it.

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
245 Posts
You can buy ramps online and in pet shops, but if you want to make the ramp yourself, probably the easiest and best material to make it out of would be wood. Some safe woods include apple, mulberry, and manzanita wood. If you cut the wood directly from trees, you'll need to freeze it for several days or bake it. Kiln-dried pine is also safe. If you're buying the wood, make sure it is untreated.

·
Super Moderator
294 Posts
With wood you will need to deep clean it and probably bake it in the oven every deep clean as it'll soak in urine deep into the wood.
I'd recommend just buying a plastic ramp as you can wipe them down easily. If they wont use it much then and you need somethig for them to gnaw on then go for wood sure but make sure its the right kind

·
Registered
321 Posts
Apple is a good way to go imo, but wood does stain. So if a rat decides to pee on the ramp, that may stay.
You can get latter ramps for your rats. They're usually targeted towards birds, but work just fine for rats

1 - 7 of 7 Posts