Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter has two rats and I cannot even stand to go into her bedroom because of the rat smell. I know it's rat urine smell. She cleans the cage completely once a week. However, since she's been gone to camp a week I've been in charge of feeding them. I notice there is pee on the little shelves that pools in the little grooves. So I have been wiping them down daily when I go to feed them. That urine sure stinks ...blech!!!!!! She also has a couple of canopies....but hasn't always (and the stink was there before them). I think those canopies are what stink too.

So, tell me what are the best ways to get rid of that icky smell in her room. What can I tell her to do daily that will prevent that stench. She doesn't even notice it really....but I can big time...and by the end of the week even though her door is always shut I can smell it as I walk up the stairs and walk past her closed door.

Oh, I know she was using some combination of peroxide and vinegar while cleaning the shelves. ..and bottom area.

Help!!..LOL I can't stand the smell. 8O

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome to the forums, ceecee :)

Spot cleaning like you have been is a good way to go. I soak up any puddles with tissue, then wipe down the shelves with hypo-allergenic unscented baby wipes.

When I do my weekly clean, I use hot soapy water and a scrubbing brush. For the "soap", I use a hypo-allergenic unscented laundry detergent.

Also, don't forget to wipe the bars of the cage (the baby wipes will do this well) as they can often get sticky and smell, yet you can't always see anything on them.

Hope this helps. It is really important to keep on top of odours, though, for your rats respiratory system's sake, as well as yours! :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
She'll need to completely scrub down the cage, the table it's on (if any) and the floor about the cage... If the cage still smells it may be absorbing the odor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go out and get her some of the wipes you suggested and even the laundry detergent. What brand do you use?

I know last friday she did a very thorough cleaning...took the whole cage outside and hosed it down and scrubbed every inch of it. I'm going to have her do this tomorrow when she gets back from camp too. Then I'll check to see if the plastic has actually absorbed the odor. I've had a fan blowing air out her window for the last couple days and have been using an air purifier too. Hopefully that is ok. I would go and clean out the cage myself but I'm not fond of handling the rats..LOL. Though taking care of them for a week ...ummm....they are pretty cute. I was scared to put my hand in and clean up ..LOL

Oh, and the cage is on the floor...on a rug. I had her remove the rug and replace it with an old towel thinking it was the rug that smelled but it wasn't. I think the daily cleaning up the pee puddles is what she's going to have to do really.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
what type of litter is she using? some are better at controling odors then others. the best i've found has been Yesterdays News pelleted cat litter. the worst for odor control has to be wood shavings though. in fact i think it adds to the stink IMHO. with the yesterdays news and spot cleaning in a good sized cage i don't smell anything at all for a few days and when i do start to get an odor i wash the fabrics and the odor is gone again. then i change the litter once a week as well. and i have ten rats.

another thing that could be causing problems is if they are being fed fresh food and they stash it where it rots. this can be quite the issue with fruits i recently found out. all it took was a couple mango rinds and some pineapple slices to be in there for a couple days for the smell to be really bad. to fix this just make sure to check all possible hiding places for food and shift the litter with your hand to find the buried stuff and remove it before its been in there too long.

also is the cage powder coated or galvanized? galvanized will hold odor pretty quickly.

finally, if she does have a cage that really stinks then she should probably give her rats a bath too as they are going to smell like the stinky cage for a few days after the cage has been cleaned too. i use Johnson's baby head and body shampoo. its really mild so won't harm the rats but very effective at cleaning them up too. i normally give my rats a bath at least once a month though since i got my first all white rat i've discovered that they are probably a heck of a lot dirtier then i originally thought (seems like--at least the white one--would rather swim in her table scraps and fruits then eat them....). but as a general guide, either when they smell bad or when their tails get scuzy is a guide time to bathe them. to wash their tails use a dap of baby shampoo on a soft bristel toothbrush and gently scrub the tail.

anyway, i hope you'll able to get the odor under control soon. rats aren't normally stinky animals and shouldn't carry much of a smell at all. let us know if this works for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Twitch...

She has started using yesterdays news. She visits a rat forum..LOL maybe this one or another. I'm not sure if the cage is powder coated or galvanized. It was bought at a pet store. Actually, this evening when I went in her room it wasn't as stinky...so keeping the open shelves wiped down each day I think is helping it. Also, I know the fleece hanging hammock stinks and should be washed...I'll leave that for her to do tomorrow when she gets home..LOL Can you tell I still don't like to touch them...and having my hand in the cage for too long freaks me out. haha. I'll tell her about giving them a bath with the baby shampoo..i'm sure that will help.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
my mother was like that at first too. she was scared they were going to bite and would jerk back and scare the rats if they went to hold her finger (think of it as the rat verison of shaking hands, it doesn't hurt but does feel weird) causing them to flinch and so bite harder by accident. once she learned to stay still she got over her fear really quick and will now carry them on her shoulder from time to time. she really apprecaites them now and though she's not as gun-ho about them as i am she can understand why i love them so much. mind you this took YEARS for her to get to this point. maybe if you give yourself some time and give them a chance you'll learn why your daughter loves them so much. and everyone here will be more then willing to talk your ear off on why they love them too if you have the ear to spare. there are some really cute and funny stories out there about them too.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
ceecee said:
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll go out and get her some of the wipes you suggested and even the laundry detergent. What brand do you use?
There are several brands of the laundry detergent out there, but I use "All". At the wildlife rescue I work at, we've been using Pure, which seems good, too. As for the wipes, I buy the generic supermarket brand... they're just as good as Huggies and half the price.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been struggling with this issue ever since I purchased my Martins cage. It's gotten to the point where I've stopped letting them have hammocks and snuggly fabrics, but it is still stinky. I think the coating on the wire is absorbing the smell, because with my last cage all i had to do was clean it to get the smell away. Yesterdays news does help, and so does wiping down all the wiring every other day w/ a weekly hardcore cleaning, but I feel like there is always at least a faint smell of rat pee in the room where their cage is. I'm actually really irritated, because I spent 200$ on this cage less than five months ago and feel like I need to start looking for another one. I wish I could get an FN, but a couple of my girls are to petite for the bar spacing...

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
liz: its because the wires are crossed so much (gridded). Martins do tend to hold odor faster then other cages i've been told. but have you tried a high pressure water hose on it. the problem is probably coming from where the bars meet and you can't get as well. if you take it to a do-it-yourself car wash you should be able to blast the gunk right out of it. leave any plastic or rope toys in the cage as well so they get a good blasting too. i find this works marvels with my cage when it comes to deep cleaning. there isn't any odor left whatsoever. though my bars are straight ones so i don't have the same problem there. but i do have a few rope toys and a cement perch that will hold odor with time. after a blasting from the high pressure hose you can't smell anything on them anymore. its only takes me 5 minutes to clean my cage that way which only cost $3 so its worth a shot at the very least. it'd be cheaper then getting a whole new cage anyway if it does work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts