Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cage I currently have for Khloe is 24x12x14...which, I now realize, is WAY too small, even for one rat. Well, Khloe is getting a friend soon, and the cage I want is a Super Pet 2-level cage, and it's 24x24x21. The cage calculator says this is okay for two rats. Anyway, the bar spacing is 1", and I think she's still small enough to fit through...plus, the new rat I'm getting is a baby. My question is... what kind of wire would be best to place over the cage, and what would be the best thing to hold it together?

Someone suggested hardwire, is that what everyone uses? My boyfriend could measure and cut the peices, and I was thinking of using quick-ties to hold the peices on there, but would there be something better? I'm concerned that the quick-ties might be chewed off.

Suggestions and ideas are greatly welcomed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I made my cage out of closet shelves (I posted a pic down below it only cost me about $70 for the whole cage) and I used cable ties to hold the whole cage together. (I bought the big ones from a hardware dept) so far I haven't noticed her chewing on any that hold the cage together but she has chewed on the ones that held her tubes on the side.

but as long as you keep a check on them and replace any it should be ok.

on the other cage I made our of plastic shelves I use cable ties to hold the wire onto the sides for that also and didn't have a problem.

just make sure you give them something else to chew on (chew sticks, paper towel rolls, paper whatever and maybe they won't chew on it

1 - 2 of 2 Posts