Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neera was treated for an ear infection from October 21-31. I used the Baytril the full recommended time and I am completely out. I had no extra whatsoever. Suddenly her head tilt has come back again now though? She still had a bit of one at the end of her medication but I thought she just had a permanent one. It seems much worse now though?

Did I do something wrong? Is it something worse than an ear infection? If it's needed, her eye is still leaking a little porphyrin as well. My vet said it was an effect from the ear infection... He also prescribed her with a swollen lymph node but never explained if it was all an effect from the ear infection. She had an abscess where the vet said it was a swollen lymph node so I assumed that he had misdiagnosed the abscess but her neck is still swollen... Did she just not get enough Baytril?

I know I should ask my vet these questions but I am not happy with him at all and I honestly ron't want him diagnosing my rats anymore. If I have to though, I will try to take her back to see him. Honestly, I don't want to unless this is something serious. He doesn't treat them right and he didn't even tell me about the abscess, I had to help her with that.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She's still eating and exercising fine but her balance seems a little bit off. I was playing with her ontop of her cage and she kind of rolled her head on my hand? I haven't seen her do this again though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm calling my vet tomorrow about getting more medicine. I'm really worried that they're going to charge me a fortune again for coming in... This will be $150 in check-up fees alone in a month if they make me pay another check-in fee. They measured out 3 mL of medicine last time, which left me scrounging for the last few drops to give her the full recommended time and charged me $20 for it. I dislike my vet a lot but he's all I have right now and I honestly don't want to bring Neera back in to him... I know that I might have to, but he doesn't treat my rats right nor does he give me the attention they deserve.

Does she just need to be on Baytril for a longer time? 10 days seems really short for the ear infection and the swollen lymph nodes he diagnosed her with... My mom's cat got 2 weeks of medicine for an abscess on his foot... I usually hear 2-4 weeks of medicine. What should I do about this? Is it normal for vets to only give 10 days of time for Baytril for ear infections/lymph nodes and to measure it out specifically and charge me so much for such a small amount?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If anyone's interested in knowing, I got a new vet today. I took her in for an appointment and I got three weeks of raspberry-flavored Baytril for her. I'm thrilled at finding a much better vet. My new vet examined her well and told me what he thought it was but also what it could be. I have to call him in two or three days to tell him if the medicine has been working. :3

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Me and my vet think so. The medicine was working before so hopefully it'll work now too, I just have to see. I'll keep you guys updated though. ^-^

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.