Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do they like to eat what do they like to sleep in what all do I need to know?!?! I dont know when she will be back and he found his way in my place today!! I have two cats they seem friendly to him but I dont trust them to be around him when I am gone... I feed him some cheerios, cheese, peanut butter, cat food, water and he even drank some tuna liquid from the can (figured he needed protein he seemed skinny like he hasnt ate in a while I think he escape his cage then after he couldnt find food he escaped the apartment)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
P.s. I am letting him sleep in my bed he seems to like to snuggle up under the softest blanket I have on my bed ( I dont care if he poops because I can wash it I just want his stay to be as comfortable as possible) He seems highly intelligent too I didn't think rats were so smart I might possibly want one in the future and he eats nonstop too haha

·
Registered
953 Posts
Awe, I'm so happy he made his way to you. :) Lucky little guy.

Their diets are similar to ours so for the short time you can probably feed him stuff from your own house. Non sugary cereal, grains, veggies, seeds and nuts, a little fruit, even a little cat food, dry or cooked pasta. Don't go too heavy on the protein though. If he seems skinny you can go a little heavier on the nuts and seeds. If it's a boy avoid citrus.

Yes, rats are very smart and social creatures. Best kept in pairs or more. It sounds like you are his companion right now. :) I think of them as tiny dogs in personality. Sleeping quarters-well, mine all have different favorite items-from shoe box's, plastic boxes, some love fleece, some like an old tshirt, some like their hammocks. Some like to sleep in the open and others like to feel more secure inside something.

I'm sure others will add lots of advice. But again, so happy he found a safe place to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
(1)- What do they like to eat (2)- what do they like to sleep in (3)- what all do I need to know?!?! (4)- I dont know when she will be back, I have two cats they seem friendly to him but I dont trust them to be around him when I am gone.
(1)- lots of stuff. Mine like cucumber, bit of hard-boiled egg, and grapes are some favorites of my boys. They prefer grape-halves because like a lot of fruits and veggies the skin has a bitter taste to protect the fruit inside. Dry cereal (not the sugary kid stuff, though I'll slip them a frosted mini-wheat from time to time), Carrot... lettuce (not iceburg), dry uncooked oatmeal.... they love watermelon.Rats are herbivores that edge towards omnivores... I'll give mine meat-treats every now and again- a crumble of cooked hamburger, a pinch of sliced turkey. The tuna juice probably wasnt a terrible idea.(2)- soft and secure. They will nibble on things. I have a few bath towels that I have sacrificed for my boys along with torn-up tshirts, pajama pants and the like. Just keep in mind that they nibble- the towels look like swiss cheese when I hold them up to the light and the dryer lint trap is packed when I wash their bedding. The blankets and pillow cases on my bed all have small holes. Because of the nibbles organic fibers are probably best.(3)- they are aborable and loving pets. They are social and intelligent creatures that give back far more than we can ever give them.(4)- grr.. on VACATION!?!?!(more on this later), while its good the cats are friendly there is still a natural food chain there and it'd be best not to give the cats a chance to figure it out for the sake of the rat as well as the cats (I assume indoor domestic? It'll start with playful batting, then pouncing... then someone might get hurt and once the cats taste the thrill of the hunt they might never be the same.)Final Thoughts - First and Foremost, I think you should have a new pet. Seriously. Your neighbor went on vacation without seeing to it that their pet would be cared for. As you said, he's skinny and was so hungry, desperate and frustrated that he was able to force an escape. Poor guy. Second, good on you for letting him be happy on your bed. My oldest boy spends most of his time on my bed under normal circumstances. I think he understands that if he stays on the bed while I'm gone then he gets to stay on the bed while I'm gone. Otherwise its the box with the lid. He likes this deal, I think ;) Third, seriously I think he should have a new home. Really. Fourth- might go easy on the peanut butter, small amounts with access to plenty of water. Fifth, no telling if the water situation was like the food situation back in his cage- make sure he has access to and plenty of time with fresh water.Lastly- regardless of what you decide, thank you for taking care of this little guy. Keep him around and he'll make you happy- I promise.

·
Registered
8 Posts
(1)- What do they like to eat
(2)- what do they like to sleep in
(3)- what all do I need to know?!?!
(4)- I dont know when she will be back, I have two cats they seem friendly to him but I dont trust them to be around him when I am gone
(1)- lots of stuff. Mine like cucumber, bit of hard-boiled egg, and grapes are some favorites of my boys. They prefer grape-halves because like a lot of fruits and veggies the skin has a bitter taste to protect the fruit inside. Dry cereal (not the sugary kid stuff, though I'll slip them a frosted mini-wheat from time to time), Carrot... lettuce (not iceburg), dry uncooked oatmeal.... they love watermelon.Rats are herbivores that edge towards omnivores... I'll give mine meat-treats every now and again- a crumble of cooked hamburger, a pinch of sliced turkey. The tuna juice probably wasnt a terrible idea.

(2)- soft and secure. They will nibble on things. I have a few bath towels that I have sacrificed for my boys along with torn-up tshirts, pajama pants and the like. Just keep in mind that they nibble- the towels look like swiss cheese when I hold them up to the light and the dryer lint trap is packed when I wash their bedding. The blankets and pillow cases on my bed all have small holes. Because of the nibbles organic fibers are probably best.

(3)- they are aborable and loving pets. They are social and intelligent creatures that give back far more than we can ever give them.

(4)- grr.. on VACATION!?!?!(more on this later), while its good the cats are friendly there is still a natural food chain there and it'd be best not to give the cats a chance to figure it out for the sake of the rat as well as the cats (I assume indoor domestic? It'll start with playful batting, then pouncing... then someone might get hurt and once the cats taste the thrill of the hunt they might never be the same.)

Final Thoughts -

First and Foremost, I think you should have a new pet. Seriously. Your neighbor went on vacation without seeing to it that their pet would be cared for. As you said, he's skinny and was so hungry, desperate and frustrated that he was able to force an escape. Poor guy.

Second, good on you for letting him be happy on your bed. My oldest boy spends most of his time on my bed under normal circumstances. I think he understands that if he stays on the bed while I'm gone then he gets to stay on the bed while I'm gone. Otherwise its the box with the lid. He likes this deal, I think ;)

Third, seriously I think he should have a new home. Really.

Fourth- might go easy on the peanut butter, small amounts with access to plenty of water.

Fifth, no telling if the water situation was like the food situation back in his cage- make sure he has access to and plenty of time with fresh water.

Lastly- regardless of what you decide, thank you for taking care of this little guy. Keep him around and he'll make you happy- I promise.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I'm glad he found you!

You may want to check out a local pet store - Petsmart and Petco usually have cages and the like on clearance, it might be good to have something on hand just in case you end up with a permanent new friend. My concern though is that there might be another rat there who is now alone. Do you know if she only had the one or if there were two? Or possibly more?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts