Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning the boys cage this morning. As normal, they were like curious monkeys always checking what mommy is doing in their home. They have a habit of climbing up and down the outside of the cage while I'm busy. Rascal fell from the top of the cage onto the tiled floor. I saw the whole thing happen within milliseconds. My heart jumped into my throat. I picked him up, held him close and calmed us both down. It was a long hard fall. I would reckon about 1 and a half metre drop. He seemed fine. No limping etc. he ate and drank. Half an hour later, I saw a bad case of poryphin by his nose. First time ever seeing this. It looked like blood. It was horrid. I rushed him to the vet. The vet gave him a shot of anti-inflammatory. Said that the poryphin was due to stress, possible concussion and head secretion. He said otherwise he is fine. Color good, no respiratory issues, not limping and Rascal was lively. I've been watching him the whole day. He has mostly been sleeping, but he has played with Justin, with a few extra squeaks. I will watch him even closer tonight during free range. The poryphin by his nose seems fine so far. Wow, I hope he is ok. What a fright. Little monkey gave me heart failure! Any signs I should watch out for? Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that Rascal also got a little scrape on his front leg, I noticed this after the fall as well. It's nothing major at all, but I cleaned it in cool boiled water with abit of salt. I hope this is ok? The vet didn't seem bothered about the little scrape...

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The scratch should be okay, rats heal fast. As far as what to watch for, I would say that you should make sure he isn't extremely lethargic or refusing food and water. Sounds like he is going to be okay though! Keep his environment as stress free as possible and monitor him for any changes (as you have been doing). Long falls are always heart wrenchingly scary. My boy Finn constantly makes death defying leaps to reach their cage when they free range so now I give him an exit back to the cage to prevent injury.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The scratch should be okay, rats heal fast. As far as what to watch for, I would say that you should make sure he isn't extremely lethargic or refusing food and water. Sounds like he is going to be okay though! Keep his environment as stress free as possible and monitor him for any changes (as you have been doing). Long falls are always heart wrenchingly scary. My boy Finn constantly makes death defying leaps to reach their cage when they free range so now I give him an exit back to the cage to prevent injury.
Thanks! It was pretty scary! It was the first time I saw poryphin and it looks like blood. Being a newbie ratty owner, I have yet to go through much more I suppose. Having a forum and such lovely people in this forum is amazing. I worry and care for my boys so much. We learn as we go I suppose. But I am definitely going to get more strict on their 'monkey climbing' at high levels. He really took a fall that scared me!

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm glad he's ok! It's so scary when that happens! Just the other day, I had the cage doors open doing some spot cleaning. Suddenly, something came flying out of the cage, bounced off my head and then hit the floor! I was like "What the heck?" It felt like a pillow hitting me in the head so my first thought was that Buffy, my crazy little character, had thrown her bed out at me. (wouldn't be the first time! LOL) So when I reached down to pick up the bed off the floor, I was shocked to see Anya inside of it!! It's a little round cuddle cup type bed that I'd made for them made out of several layers of fleece and Sherpa. The girls like to chew a hole in the Sherpa and get INSIDE of the bed. So I guess Anya had been in there kicking around trying to get comfortable and the bed rolled right out of the cage, bounced off my head, and landed on the floor. She wasn't hurt because she was encased in cushion but she was pretty freaked out over her "flight." LOL I just got her out of the bed and went and held her for a few minutes until she calmed down. Silly babies get themselves into such predicaments!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts