Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you might know I recently adopted 2 neutered male rats from my local rescue. They're wonderful and get along with my girl just fine. My girl is not spayed yet though, and I won't have the money to do that for at least another 2 months.
A friend of mine has an unneutered male she's looking to rehome and I offered to take it. I'm just really nervous that an oops litter is going to happen! After quarantine they will be kept in separate cages (of course!) but not separate rooms. Everyone in my house in knowledgeable about what happens when two rats of opposite genders are put together, so I'm certain that they won't end up in the same cage but I still can't help but feel nervous about the whole thing. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I can only suggest not having them anywhere near each other until the spay. Or just make sure you are always watching when they are together. But the best way to not have babies is to keep them apart until she is spayed. She can't get pregnant if they are in the same room unless they are all out together. Nothing to worry about. Just be careful. :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Could you schedule the neuter first? That would be cheaper. :)

Else, can you keep them in separate areas of the house? Should make issues somewhat less likely.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My vet charges the same for spays and neuters so I opted to spay Betty first for a few reasons; first a spay makes her sterile immediately, males still have to be kept separate for another 3 weeks, second she will stop mating with my neutered boys (which is rather noisy), and third I have a theory that her being spayed will make intros go smoother between all of the boys (no fighting over her). But if I'm wrong about any of that or if there are more reasons to neuter him first I'll certainly consider that!

I'm still working to convince my sister to keep him in her room but she's not keen on the idea (her hamster freaks out at the scent of rats and my sister is very protective of her hamster).

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Cant offer much advice sorry

hope what ever happens its all alright :D
Jess x

·
Registered
31 Posts
whoa, Junior_j can you size that siggy down a little? LOL

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
lol i know sorry

i tried downsizing it with no luck so i though sod it lol ,

anyone know how to downsize it i tried through photo bucket with no luck
Jess x

·
Registered
879 Posts
junior_j said:
lol i know sorry

i tried downsizing it with no luck so i though sod it lol ,

anyone know how to downsize it i tried through photo bucket with no luck
Jess x
Hey if you need Help im pretty good with photoshop I can downsize it for you :D

PM me if you want help i'll give you my e-mail address. :wink:

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've personally never had a problem keeping intact males and females in the same room. I've always kept them in cages with secure (normally locking) doors with a small bar spacing. Katie used to love running over the boys cages to annoy them, and vice versa during free time (when my living room was their playground). As long as you don't have them out together and can be assured that your cages are escape-proof - I wouldn't worry too much and wait it out the spay.

Saying that though, the only mistake I've ever made (recently) was user error and not the rats fault at all (I put Daphne away in Jake's cage!). Left to their own devices, mine are absolutely fine running around each other (just not WITH each other)

·
Registered
81 Posts
How necessary is it to alter a rat, besides the obvious reason of preventing pregnancy?

(Sorry for hijacking.)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It's rare, but do realize that rats can and have mated through bars... So if you let them free-roam the room where there's an opposite-sex cage... Well, it could happen. :) It's best to not let them anywhere near or on the cage of another gender, just in case.

Beyond that, as long as you (and everyone in the house) is careful and the cages are secure (including any possible chewing through pans), don't fret too much for the few months.

Almi - It's not necessary at all, per say, but it certainly has health benefits for both genders, especially females. It can also reduce or remove hormonal aggression.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you! I think I'm relaxing about it more now, and hopefully I'll be getting a job soon so I can speuter sooner. I'm extremely fastidious with closing cage doors as we have so many cats in the house I'm well aware of what could happen if I leave one open or if a rat is out of my eyesight for more than a few seconds. So I'm not too worried about the new rat climbing to the upper level of a FN while I'm not watching. I'll just have to keep my girl off of his cage which will be on the floor.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts