Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new here! I just got my two hairless rats about a week ago. They are both females and about 6 months old. For the first week they've been good little ratties, staying in there cages and such. But now they REFUSE to stay in their cage. They will take a running leap and bust through the cage bars. (well bend through them) They've gotton so bad about it I've just rat proofed and room and left the cage open. But now Barbie (on of my girls) has chosen a drawer and is finding every piece of fabric, well anything that she can drag into the drawer. Its fine by me (until I get my new cage) I was just wondering... what the heck is going through her mind??

·
Registered
722 Posts
What kind of cage do you have? Maybe a cage with stronger bars would work better.

As for the nesting, I know that females do that when they're preparing to give birth. If she's gotten rounder or anything, I would definitely watch out!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
they shouldnt be able to bend the bars, my girls nest and they arent preggers, it's just the personality of the rat, but it can be a sign of preggercy

i also know some people who's boys nest *tries to remember who's rats and has an odd feeling they were forensic's..................* im gonna be thinking about it all night now!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
-sigh- the cage is brand new.. the bars are just spaced too far apart. We're going tonight to go get some screen to put around the cage until they get too big to fit through lol

·
Registered
155 Posts
i put newspaper and my rat's cage and she made herself a cute tunnel.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
My girls pulled EVERYTHING paper into our sofa to make a nest - neither of them were pregnant. Just OCD when it came to bills, bank statements or junk mail

1 - 12 of 12 Posts