Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand this is a normal behavior, but my rat Mindy gets pretty intense with it. :D She just started tearing up the newspaper under the bedding and dragging it under their hat (there favorite bed, consists of a towel and an old ball cap). Well last week I cleaned her cage and she looked almost distressed that her newspaper was gone... well I felt bad tonight being christmas eve and all so I saved a few pieces of newspaper and put in under the clean hat and new towel... she instantly livened up and hurried to tuck the pieces of paper under a fold in towel. If you knock a piece of paper down she'll sprint down to the bottom level and pick it back up. I have made a habit of tossing a piece of newspaper in there for her and she drags a huge strip and slowly breaks it down in the nest... it's kinda funny. Does anyone have any info on nesting... what triggers it? In heat? Colder weather? etc?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I think it is just natural for them to do this. It sounds like she may have just discovered this since you were offering her strips of paper freely.

I always shred some newspaper or paper towels & add them to the cages of my rats. My girls love for me to tease them by placing it on the exterior of the cage so that they have to work at it & bring it inside.

My boys also enjoy paper. They will pull some of it inside but most often they prefer I place it inside for them.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
my girls love dragging pieces of newspaper and tissues up and down their ramps. today they got the added bonus of christmas wrapping paper. they have absolutely stuffed both baskets with all the paper, and left none for their igloo.

i'll give them some clean paper tomorrow, when the game will start again.

i give the boys the same, but they really dont have any idea what to do with it, and just push it all to the bottom of their cage.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My babies love their napkins. I don't know what Mouse would do with out them! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts