Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rat we rescued had 8 babies. One died in the first 24 hours. at about 2 weeks old I was able to tell that there was something wrong with 3 of the babies. They were unable to move around. By 4 weeks I took them to a vet because they were unable to move around like the rest of the babies. All they can do is roll around and flip over. I took them away from mom and started hand feeding them soaked lab block and baby food by dropper. At 5 weeks 2 of the sick babies died. It is now almost week 8 and the remaining baby is growing stronger. It is about 1/3 the size of its healthy siblings. I still have to feed it by dropper about 4 times a day. It still cant control its movement. It does not stand on all fours or walk . I just rolls and scoots around on its back. It seems happy and is not suffering in any way. This is the only kind of life it knows. I am wondering if anyone has every seen or heard of anything like this. My vet has not and he has research it and talked to other local vets and nobody has a clue. HELP! I would love more info on this little guy. I would love to know how it progresses. I will try to post a picture of him later.

Thanks!

Erin

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
You need to join and post on Goosemoose's RatsRule.

Huge worldwide membership, where someone may have experienced this before. It sounds familiar but I cannot comment on it personally myself.

There are a lot of breeders who may know more about this, so it would be worth it to ask.

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,118/forum,rat

Good luck and I would love to see your wee one!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He is still hanging in. he is nine weeks old now. I am still looking for information. He is still being hand fed 4 times a day. and cant walk at all. here are also some pics of his brother from the same litter so you can see how small he is.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Poor little guys looks like a real doll.

Are there any Vet Colleges near you? They would probably be your best bet for an answer at this point. How is he? Does he seem to be in any pain or discomfort? You may end up having to make a decision regarding his future soon :(. The only other thing I could suggest is that once he passes you have a necropsy done. It might help fill in some blanks here.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has already seen the vet. And the vet has talked to everyone he can think of and I still don't have any answers. As far as him being in pain. He doesn't seem to be in any. And the vet agrees. He rolls around all over the cage. and when he is in a hurry, like feeding time he flips all the way onto his back and pushes himself pretty fast with his back feet. He eats very well although not on his own. I feed him with a eye-dropper. He cant drink anything, but he seems go get enough water through what he is eating. He seems fine and doesn't know anything different. He is just so tiny. He seems to be a tough little guy!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just wanted to say that I think your little fighting rattie is precious. That picture with his eyes closed makes me want to cry :cry:
Hopefully, you can find some conclusions as to what the illness is and if there is anything that could be done.
My heart really does go out to your little fighter and kudos to you for taking such good care of him and giving him a chance :wink:

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
reachthestars said:
Poor little guys looks like a real doll.

Are there any Vet Colleges near you? They would probably be your best bet for an answer at this point. How is he? Does he seem to be in any pain or discomfort? You may end up having to make a decision regarding his future soon :(. The only other thing I could suggest is that once he passes you have a necropsy done. It might help fill in some blanks here.
I second this. I know it comes across as somewhat dismal & morbid but a lot of good info can come from this & quite possibly help out others.

All I can offer is a hug & a bless you for all you have done regarding his care

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
A lot of neuro issues look terrible to us but aren't necessarily painful to the rat. he has never known what its like to be normal adn I am sure that if he ever starts to suffer she will have him pts.

Is he able to eat moistened baby cereal from dish? My PT rats were able to do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts