Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear, this neutering malarkey has not been plain sailing so far!

After chewing open his incision site, Muffin now seems to have some infection going on. One side has a gooey plug of nastiness and the other side has a big black scab and looks a bit swollen. I'm guessing an abscess.

He's on antibiotics twice a day and I've been told by the vet to clean the area with warm water but is that enough? Should I be doing a salt water soak and to to big to soften that black scab off? A warm water soak resulted in my getting my face clawed tonight, he is not a happy boy when it comes to water.

Any advice welcome!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Poor Muffin :(, hopefully the ABs will kick in for him soon. Holding a warm cloth compress to the abscess can help to bring it to fruition. I would personally clean the area with a Hibiscrub solution, it can work wonders with infected wounds.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The vet opened up the abscess and cleaned it all out, and I've been given a new kind of antibiotic and I've to do some saltwater soaks. Poor bub. To top off my bad luck lately my other rat Mooshie is now on Baytril as he is displaying symptoms of a uri. :(

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
We'll I hope everyone gets better. Everyone has some pretty terrible luck sometimes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts