Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be adopting 2 boys soon, and I'd like to continue doing the responsible thing and neuter them, as they will eventually move in with females. The quote I got from a vet was in excess of $250 per rat. I will shell out the money if there is no other way, but it is pricey and will likely end over $600 with follow ups and ointments. Does anyone know of a vet in Maryland/DC/Virginia who does neuters for a bit less?
I am willing to drive a distance. Gas is cheap now. :)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't know of vets near you, but I found a vet who spays and neuters for $77. I found them through the local rat rescue who gets ALL rats spayed and neutered. If you know of any rat rescues near you, you could ask what vet they use.

·
Registered
680 Posts
We paid $200 to have Zeeky neutered. But the follow up appointment and meds were included.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Definitely ask around rat FB groups and rescues. I found a vet that does neuters for $144 within a half hour of me and through a rat FB group I now know of a place about 2 hrs away that does it for $80

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yep my local vet wanted to charge me $150 per rat. About the same price as a dog or cat neuter. Even though the procedure takes less than an hour and the rat takes a fraction of the anesthesia or supplies. I think that's ridiculous. Call around, see if you can find somewhere cheaper.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for suggestions. I will call around. There is still time as the babies are just under 5 weeks old, and moved in with us yesterday. I do like my current vet and their service, but I hate drawing so much more money from CCs which are about completely paid off.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Try also calling spay and neuter clinics and see if they have a vet on staff that has experience with fixing rats, that's how I found the vet who does neuters for about $80 and is only around 30 mins away.

Asking rat rescues is a great idea! Try also looking for a vet school or vet tech program that has patient clinics. Sometimes vet schools can be WAY more expensive than normal vets, and sometimes they can be a lot cheaper.

Good luck! I hope the girls like their new brothers!

(oh and just in case you didn't know, keep the boys away from the girls for another 10 days after surgery. Boys can still impregnante girls for 10 days after neuter!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts