Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one from Connecticut? ...Ok so my normal vet does not do neuters..so I called around today to get quotes. Kensington Bird and Animal hospital, for example, quoted me 300-400$ !! Marlborough vet quoted 200-350 ! ugh!! I believe most vets in Litchfield county (where I live) do not work with rats.... :'( Is it this expensive every ware?

·
Registered
12 Posts
The biggest price you are paying for it the vet's experience and time and that of the nurses who take care of your rats before/during/after surgery. Remember it is not just about price - if you can I would go somewhere with experience of neutering/operating on rats so be sure to ask about this when shopping for a better price.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Around me, it's about $150 to neuter. You can try asking local humane society's.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I called 8 vets when I was looking for someone to do a neuter. The most expensive was $3-400 at a state of the art, high tech vet hospital. The place I ended up going with had a small animal vet who specialized in rabbits but often worked on rats. I had to pay $40 for a check up and then $80 for the neuter itself. So it only came to $120 but it was a small place with a great staff who treated my boy very nice. Idk if high price = high quality and low price = low quality but I would call around and see who can work with you and who you feel comfortable with. They may even do payment plans.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Speaking of payment plans, CareCredit is a medical credit card that has a promotion of $200 purchases are 6months same as cash.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey PaigeRose - what Vet did you use? I'm about 45-60 minutes outside of Philly (towards Lancaster). Not planning on neutering my guy, but it's good to have the information :)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Was it Dr Balzer? (just looking at the site). Thanks for the info! I really prefer to have personal endorsements for new vets from folks I'm at least somewhat familiar with. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
In lunenburg Massachusetts where igo the neuter is almost $200 BUT they don't make you pay for any follow ups of issues further associated with the neuter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
At the hospital I work at, we have a great vet who neuters rats for less than that. I'll have to double check her neuter price (she's new to our hospital - not practicing, just our hospital - so we're still getting everything other than cats/dogs started up sao I don't remember it off the top of my head, haha), but we're pretty close to CT, and maybe it'd be an option for you depending on her price. I'll get back to you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts